Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I am very interested in getting a 300ZX, they look great and the more I read up on them, the more I like them. However, I am only 15 at present, and I've got a while before I can get one. I'm sure I can get the 10k or so to get one, but what should I look for? When do they become problematic, if at all. Is it too much of a car? I dont want a turbo because the insurance is to high, but are the n/a's just the same. What are the good/bad points of the vehicle? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Don't know what anyone else thinks but where are you getting this 10k? I want to be doing the work you are if you are 15 and have 10g's. I was 21 before I bought my 300z for 10k and I had to take a 3k loan.
Anyway enough complaining. I just happend to buy a 93 N/A for 10k. It had 82,000 miles and was and still is in perfect condition. Insurance is virtually the same for turbo and non-turbo. For a 16 yr old driver expect to be paying around 1000-1200 every 6 months for full-coverage (Wouldn't get anything less for a Z).
I wouldn't recommend a Turbo: a twin-turbo Z for 10k will have high miles and probably need serious work on the car. Lots O $$$$.
The engine on these cars will virtually last forever if taken care of. Wish that could be said about tranny and drivetrain. I get the idea both of these will need to be replaced around 120-140K. Any needed repairs is going to hurt the pocket book, cost of parts is very high and unless your a mechanic expect to pay for tons of labor.
For a new driver I wouldn't recommend this car. Being a powerful rear-wheel drive sports car I would almost gaurantee that you wreck it. Not saying you would be a bad driver just bad decisions sometimes. I know, I was 16 once. I guess if you really want one you'll get one, so just be patient for a good deal.

Look for a 93N/A With 80-85K for around 10g's
HAVE A TRUSTED MECHANIC LOOK IT OVER

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch thats more info than ive found in a long time. As far as the $$$ goes, I have my CCNA (Cisco Certification thingy) and it pays quite well, taking into account i have like no expenses... Thanks for the advice about wrecking it, cause I was thinking about that too. Would you really gaurantee that i'd wreck it though? It is that easy to get carried away and be an idiot with one?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
920 Posts
well as a 16 year old, my first car was the only 2 and a half liter straight 4 banger Porsche ever had.. the 944. this car was a blast but i drove it ended up in a ditch after hitting some loose gravel on a sharp curve. now im 17, and have had my Z for about 9 months, and havent had any accidents, and have never been pulled over.. and i still drive like a bat outta **** when it feels right. if you dont get over-confident with your cars capabilities, i dont think you'll wreck it. plus na's arent exactly ground pounders and i think if any sports car should be your first, it should be a Z. (if u dont mind the ridiculously high maintnence costs, and the end-less number of things that can go wrong with these cars) but it sounds like youve got the $ situation dialed in. ****,, go ahead and get a TT if you think you have enough self control to drive one safely.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Go for it, get an NA Z. I got my Z when I was 17 and I just turned 18 now, and am loving the Z. However, with your money, a TT should be no prob if u choose that. just remember, the Z is addicting, and you'll spend a lot more money on it for money and maintenance. i've spent $1k in mods in 1 month. I plan on spending another $1k in the next two months. TT's are super easy to mod, and u can get enormous power. however, they're much more expensive ot keep up with. however, if i could do it again, I'de get a TT, just for the power ( i still love my NA though). KEEP ONE THING IN MIND THOUGH: be careful, don't get tickets (note, i didn't say don't speed, cuz thats illogical), don't get in wrecks. People with Z's can't help but speed, just try not to get caught. DON'T do stupid things and get in a wreck. Learn the limits of your car, cuz thats where most people screw up. Anyway, try to stick to those and you should have a helluva a badass car, and be able to keep it for a while.

·
Registered
920 Posts
keep in mind, the near 100hp you gain from $1500 worth of mods for a TT, makes nowhere near the difference in times when comparing the difference of an NA to a TT. have no idea why i said this....just a thought

·
Registered
4 Posts
statistically speaking, any car you get you being a male will be wrecked within the first yr, but it all depends on how mature you are and how conident you are driving, i was told when i turned 16 by a state trooper i know that he guarantees i will wreck in my first yr and now i am 17 and no wrecks and no tickets, just know when to go fast, if you want to really go fast go to a drag strip or something like that, just be safe and use common sense, and when u feel like taking a chance think about it like this, what if i do something wrong and end up wreckin this beautiful car and/or killing yourself, then ask yourself is it worth the risk?

·
Registered
300 Posts
NOT EVERYONE WILL GET IN A WRECK. I'm 18, was guaranteed at 16 that I will be in a wreck in one year, but so far so good. Also, no tickets, or pullovers. Doesn't mean I speed, its just being careful when u speed and where.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.