·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would win ?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Well I've always heard the 280Zx turbos were the fastest Zs until the 300 twin turbos came out. But he has 42 more ponies than you. Plus NA so he doesn't have boost lag. Depends on the trannies and the driver. If you have a 5 speed and he has auto, I'd give it to you. But if you have an auto and he has a 5 speed,and is a decent driver I'd give it to the Z32

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 280zxt would win. Even if he was a good driver and zxt was a automatic becasue a zxt auto is faster then a zxt manual.Find out and race him!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Depends on the contest

If you're talking about ride and handling I'd give it to the 300. If you're talking about reliability, again I'd give it to the 300 because a turbo is just one more component to go bad and when they go they make a mess! Also a 1990 will have 7 years of less wear and tear then even the latest '83zxt. Not to say the zxt isn't reliable, heck I'd prefer this car over most cause the l28 platform has well proven itself well. But if you are refering about acceleration and quickness I'd give it to the zxt. It may be a few hp less, but it is also a few hundred pounds lighter. And it makes 203 ft lbs of torque at 2800 rpm, which is more then the 300 at max power level. And I wouldn't be too concerned about turbo lag, cause I can get instant boost off the line if I work a little clutch magic :) Ok, a bit tougher on the clutch, but by slowly slipping to get load on the engine the turbo will begin to spool... then just quickly dump and go! Weeeeeee.....
-zakaron

·
Registered
745 Posts
Re: Depends on the contest

Funny you ask. I killed one on the highway yesterday. The only mods that I know for sure it had was GReddy exhaust. But, then again my car isn't exactly stock either.

Cody 82 ZXT

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: Depends on the contest

I would have to say it depends on which two actual cars are lining up against each other. Both cars do ABOUT 6.5sec 0-60. These are two very close performers stock IMO. It's obviously a lot easier to get the extra hp and handling out of the 280ZXT.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Remember also most 300zx cars are about to fall into the bowels of the junkyard.
We see about a 20 to 1 ratio that are in the bone yard.
Unlike the 240s, 260s, and 280s the 300zx is much like our cars were 10 to 20 years ago.
Today most 300s can be had for about a grand or less, as our cars are going up in price theirs are on the decline. If I did find a kick @ss 300 I would indeed snatch it up for later days. So when I see a 300 on the road I know it has little time remaining.
Some are in great condition with a great driver but I have yet to see one.
Chances are they wouldn’t race you in fear that it may be their cars last race.
Many a car race is won before it starts, like poker it’s all how you look at them.
My cars are in tiptop condition and ride smooth at 100 mph plus as many 300s need a wheel balance or front end work. Look at your opponent’s tires, if you see unusual wear and tear you won the race. Remember most 300 cars are Junkers on their last leg.

When I know some punk is about to make a move I down shift to tack-o about 4k, at this point jumping to red or yellow depending on how you feel makes them fall back fast.
Most racing as we all know is negotiating at high speeds on some interstate.
I tend to find holes in traffic in the right lane as they are stuck behind some slow poke in the left lane. We have all seen this as they become real pissed flashing their lights and riding the bumper of the cars that slows them in the passing lane. Sure they may find a path and pass you but as in chess you think many moves ahead. Most drivers look at the cars around them as drivers like myself look a mile ahead. You see these people have a top end dictated by their cars condition. When anyone seeing a perfect 280zx like I drive they know the car is well tuned and rides smooth as silk and will kick their @ss.
They tend to back down every time. Think about it…if you were in some faded out 300 and Kristines black and gold car stops next to you going from 30 to 0 mph in about 15 feet would you race me? The secret is to never race a perfect car because something is up.

Madeline Michele
M&M
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ahhhh, fluid talkin there, Madeline! Smoooth as silk indeed.

I only wish I had a 280zxt, and not the clapped out 79 in my garage. Nah, I like my clapped out 79.

As for 300zx's being past their time... maybe the 80's 300's, but from what I see around here the 90's Zs are still packing punch and looking smooth. As for picking one up for less than a grand? $20,000 Aust for a poor 90's Z. That's $10k US. If they're to be had for $2k Aust, I'll drop over and ship one back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.