ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 300zx non-turbo, I am in need of a new exhaust system, cat., intermediate pipe,and muffler. Online the only brand that comes up that is an exact fit is by Bosal. Have any of you guys installed this system?What are your opinions, good or bad. Or any suggestions on a different system, and where to locate it. Relies would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
get some MSA headers, and $$ stainless steel Certified muffler piping. Look for a high flow cat someplace.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The cheapest will probably be to go to your local muffler shop and have them make you and exhuast system. Current pricing for an exhaust system is roughly 200 bucks, with a high flow cat it will probably be more like 250. Back about 4 years ago I got my exhuast done for 165 out the door. That included the pipe, muffler, tips, labor, and tax. Went back later for a high flow cat and that cost me 80 bucks installed. If you have the cat done at the same time as the exhuast you'll save a little on labor. If you want to finish out the exhuast system do as mentioned and get the MSA headers. Beware, chose your muffler wisely as most mufflers I've heard tend to sound like hondas. My current set up is headers, high flow cat, 2.25 inch pipe, and dynomax super turbo muffler. I went with the dynomax muffler becuase I heard it was quiet. Well it is and it has a nice deep tone to it at idle and lower rpms but once you get the rpms up it starts buzzing. When you are at the local muffler shop just have them hold up different mufflers while someone revs the car so you can hear what they sound like. Also some will say the 2.25 is good enough but I would go with 2.5 if I had to do it over again. The slightly larged 2.5 will give a slightly deeper sound as well as flow better. Don't go over 2.5 though becuase then you'll start losing low end torque.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm getting my exhaust system on my 87 turbo looked at as well. The guy doing mine says that the original downpipe has a very sharp bend in it around the transmission. He has developed a modified one that reduces the bend and allows a better flow. You may want to consider this.
Replacing the downpipe, using a hi-flow cat and 2.5 in piping along with a Flowmaster Turbo muffler will give me extra power and a good sound (not too load).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.