ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some searching, but getting very bits and pieces information, and no real specifics on what would be entailed in this conversion. It's almost looking as if it wouldn't behoove me to undertake this project.

I currently have an 86 2+2 Automatic, and I would REALLY like it to be 5sp.

In looking at it, it seems as if I would just need to replace the transmission, replace the clutch, and rid myself of the throttle cable that goes to the auto tranny. I figure somehow it will be more involved than that, but the real big thing seems to be the driveshaft. If it was a 2 seater, I see lots of write ups, but is it next to impossible to get the proper driveshaft for this conversion? Keep in mind I payed $500 for this car, and with a little bit of work, it's a dependable daily driver taking a minimum of 60 miles a day round trip to and from work. Don't wanna spend a TON on this, but it certainly would make me a lot happier, heh.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

·
Registered
353 Posts
get a tranny and a driveshaft from any n/a 2+2 they are abundant in junkyards ,make sure it is from the same year range (84-86,87-89) because the companion flange is different , you will also need to put the clutch pedal ,get a flywheel(autos dont have a flywheel its a flexplate) ,and a new clutch ,and get different sized 14mm sockets as the bellhousing attached to the engine are the hardest ones to get loose (mostly the ones on the top),also you will have to install hydraulic clutch line thing with the reservoir that sits next to the brake booster. good luck

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
its honestly probably easier to sell it and get a 5spd model. you'll have to buy a new tranny, mounts, drive shaft, possibly differential flange, a pedal, all the clutch hydraulics, replace the torque converter with a flywheel.... more money in parts and labor than buying a 5spd car..

·
Registered
958 Posts
hey, while were on the subject, You could take the driveshaft from any 2+2 manual and pair it up with the 87-89 Turbo Tranny, right?

·
Registered
353 Posts
i dont know if you can ,they are all supposed to be diferent , but if it does fit ,let me know as i have a 2=2 and would like to use the turbo trannyb from those years as i have turboed my 2+2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.