Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

This is my second z car and I am in the process of putting this one back together.

1-1978 280zx 133000
2-1986 300zx 87745

I have a question about the vacume pump.

-When i turn the ignition to accesory position is it normal for what i believe to be the vacume pump (sound from the pass. side headlight) to be constantly on?

is this normal or do I have a vacume leak (very possible)

Thanks for your help and I am sure that this will be the first of many questions about the beast that I love!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Vacum hoses and fix'em them

jaw666fl,

I am just a "shade tree" so don't hold my feet to the fire, but I am on a quest to learn all I can learn. So to any critics, "duh."

Read on.

Hey there, I got a pair. Of 1986's 300Z's, of course, and yeah that's the approx. location for the vacum pump. One super hint I got from somewhere on this site was "cheating" a bit in the repair of those rotting hoses. First, obviously, find out where they are leaking from. A "gear head" told me a trick, there are two kinds of spray carb. cleaner, one that makes your car stall, and the other kind that makes your car rev. Buy one of each? Whatever. Just make sure you are not spraying either of them onto a hot engine. In other words do it after a good nights' sleep... Start the car, and spray the shiznick around, and "zoom in" to find the leak. Beacuse we are dealing with SUCTION here, and one spray or another will make you Z change it tune...
AND...
If it turns out to be just a modest area "sleeve" it. Goto to your local auto parts store, and get some vacum hoses that are appox. size to the hoses you are using, and MAKE SURE they "fit inside of each other." TIGHTLY. Then for instance, replace the first three inches of the tiny hose coming off the pump, then get the next largest tubing and stretch it out with some needle nose pliers, then spit on it, or use soapy water, and shove man. heh. Then, use the bitter end of the olde tiny hose and insert it into the new "coupling." The point is, you can do it.... IF it turns out to be a modest "leak" in a finite area. And yes, it makes a HUGE difference to soo many different aspects of the Z. Apparently despite everything else I believe about my lovely Z's... they suck. And by that I mean, they pull a vacum.

get'R'done

seahunter

To those who would "complain" at my method, come by my place, and fix'em "properly" for free...

To those who just throw money at problems, consider me a problem, and throw some my way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.