ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO ...... ANY HELP WILL BE WONDERFUL ! AFTER INTERMITENT NO STARTS AFTER RUNNING, THE CAR WILL NOT START AT ALL. INITIALLY THOUGHT TO BE A FUEL PUMP PROBLEM. INSTALLED NEW PUMP AND STILL WILL NOT START.MY MECHANIC FRIEND AND MECHANIC SON ARE TRYING TO SOLVE DILEMNA. INITIALLY HAD GOOD SPARK, BUT NOW DOES NOT , AND OCASSIONALLY HAS WEAK SPARK.GETTING FUEL ! CHECKED ECU AND GOT A CODE FOR THE CAS , BUT THE LIGHTS ARE NOT FLASHING AT ALL ...AS THEY SHOULD. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT ? WE ARE NOT SURE WHERE TO GO NEXT. REPLACE CAS / DISTRIBUTOR ? CRAZY, THIS IS A 59 K MILE CAR AND i JUST GOT IT PAINTED ! RAN WONDERFULLY UNTIL NOW. FRUSTATED, AND CINFUSED AND AM WALKING AS THIS IS MY EVERY DAY DRIVER.
THANK YOU, NICK D.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS GUYS, I HAVE BEEN PRICING CAS / DISTRIBUTORS TODAY ! NO OVERHEATING PROBLEMS EVER. CAR RAN FLAWLESSLY UNTIL THIS STUFF HAPPENED. WIERD PART OR COINCIDENCE, THIS ALL HAPPENED AFTER GETTING THE Z BACK FROM THE PAINT SHOP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry red october !i finally got what you meant . what is your problem ? i did not know that using capslock is a cardinal sin !i am just trying to get some help with my machine .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks...... my mechanic tells me that when he turns the key clockwise as per the directions in the manual that the red and green lights are supposed to flash initially, but no lights come on ! I am trying to call him and get the exact details.
thank you

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Capslocks are ANNOYING! You may as well be talking with a big stuck arse carrot up your ass.

59K's doesn't mean a thing at all, considering all components are over 20 years old.

You're getting fuel your getting air, without making the car EFI system sound difficult and OMG freaking out like, the one thing you're missing is spark. What controls spark? You say you're unsure where to go next? Is that including you and the mechanic? LOL

Calm down, replace the Distributor. Then systematically work your way around there. PTU or AFM would be the things to check or replace after that.

3 Things to working out a car problem.

1) Diagnose the problem, eg no/weak spark. Big problem if you diagnose it wrong!
2) Investigate and isolate the problem.
3) Replace and test.
4) If the car is not running how it should, test and replace another component sensor or wire within the system.
5) After replacing everything then i'ld look into replacing the ECU.

It's all logic and systematic. There's nothing random about a car. That's what makes it not difficult. You begin to know the systems and how each sensor or components react with each system and your well on the way to becoming a better techician than your mechanic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gentlemen ........ just spoke to my mechanic friend , and i now have good spark but getting no ground signal at the injectors. should i just go ahead and find a distributor/cas ? if so does anyone know a reliable source ?any help would be appreciated.
nick d.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gentlemen ........i finally got a new distributor and the z still will not start.computer now shows a code for temp. sensor that is located behind the timing belt according to the manual. could that prevent the car from firing ?will check the other items that swampman suggested previously. any new ideas would be greatly appreciated!getting frustrated and yet hopeful.
thank you all nick d.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
lawdog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gentlemen ........i finally got a new distributor
> and the z still will not start.computer now shows
> a code for temp. sensor that is located behind the
> timing belt according to the manual. could that
> prevent the car from firing ?will check the other
> items that swampman suggested previously. any new
> ideas would be greatly appreciated!getting
> frustrated and yet hopeful.
> thank you all nick d.

yes, it can. if it receives an out of range signal it default to injecting fuel at a head temp of 74F. Obviously this can be quite wrong depending on what the real temperature is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks red october .......... have to find this sensor now . actually the belt should be replaced while i am in there ! as it is overdue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever find out anything? My 86T shut off going down the road and it has no spark. While I was testing for spark about the 10th time I saw a small spark so I put the coil wire in and it started for about 1/10sec then shut down. I replaced the coil and coil wire still nothing. It got above normal temp. due to small leak in hose. I fill it up and it ran great for a couple of days then this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.