Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am sorry to bother you guys, I am just learning to work on my car myself, and being a girl, I dont have the strength you men have, so.... I DO have someone helping me..... a friend who has worked on cars for years has been assisting me but he is baffled also.....mind you

( It took a lot ....as he keeps reminding me how #!!?# difficult these cars are to work on....HaaHaa)

Anyway, my car is :

NISSAN 300ZX 2+2 TURBO 1984

I removed everything and when we got to the crankshaft pulley and by accident we rotated the cranshaft about a 1/4 rotation with the pulley still ON......this is when we removed the starter and placed a screw driver into the flywheel to make sure it would be held tight, and the crankshaft unable to budge so we could remove the crankshaft bolt.....we then removed everything and then installed the new water pump and put all the rest of the millions ( HaaHaa) of pieces back on the car.

went to turn it on and ......it rotates but will NOT start !!!

We checked the wires from the distributor and there IS spark.......I even stuck a wire in where the spark plug is in #1 cylinder and rotated the cracnkshaft pulley till the cylender was at the top.....and still nothing.
before this we set the crankshaft pulley to 0 degrees and attempted to start it......still just rotating but no start

Under the distributer car the rotor is facing to #1 also...........now could the timing be off if by accident the crankshaft pulley was rotated 1/4 turn when the pulley was still ON?

If so does anyone know in detail how to time the engine ???

I just dont get this???? Inless I am not doing this right ????
COULD IT BE THE STARTER INCORRECTLY INSTALLED ????....but it wouldnt turn over then, right???

I can only think it is the timing ?????????........and we are doing something wrong ??

THE CAR RAN MOMENTS PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE WATER PUMP !!!

I know I drove it up on the ramps !!

We touched nothing else....just the crankshaft pulley, starter, water pump!!

and yes i do have gas .....HaaHaa!

If anyone can help this would be great....the only other thing I am going to check is to take the distributer cap off and rotate the engine and see if the rotor is spinning......but logic states it would have to be something we touched since it ran prior to this....BUT WHAT !!!!

I am just getting so frustrated !!

thanks so much
you guys are a life saver

Lori

·
Registered
321 Posts
Since you didn't replace the timing belt your timing can only be off if the belt broke or skipped. It doesn't matter if the #1 cylinder is set to top dead center unless you are replacing the timing belt. And by moving the crank the 1/4 turn you did is nothing the car wouldn't do when its running or starting up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check the thread on Feb 5 re: broken timing belt

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The crankshaft pulley rotating 1/4 turn is NOT your problem - as stated it is nothing that it wouldn't be done while the car was running.

For future reference - if you have a manual transmission you can shift it into 5th gear and that crankshaft pulley will hold as tight as needed.

While you were installing the water pump were you changing the timing belt? I couldn't tell from the post why the crankshaft pulley had to be removed.

Good luck!

- Stu85na

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 84 300zx non turbo and u have to take the crank pully off to take the bottem timing cover off .. u cant get to the water pump without that bottom timing cover off..

·
Registered
782 Posts
Check fuel pressure then if thats good, if your belt broke the distributor will not turn while cranking it, so check that and if it doesnt turn do a compression check to see if your valves are ok compression should be 125-150psi if thats all good go ahead and change the belt if its broke. good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh you guys have been great !!

The only thing is I had to drive my car up on ramps ..... it was running JUST before we removed the water pump.....so this bizarre......just in case it was something to do with the distributor I went out and bought a new cap and rotor, after this the car backfired.....

everything seems to be right....it just doesnt make sense

on a compression stroke how do tell if it is on number 1 or 6 ??

for some reason it seems to be getting no compression ????

could the fuel pump or fuse go if it was running I drove it up on ramps....changed the water pump.....then it wont start ???

could it just be the timing or am I looking in the wrong place??
WHAT THE **** COULD CAUSE MY CAR TO NOT START AFTER REPLCING THE WATER PUMP WHEN IT WAS RUNNING 2 SECONDS BEFORE !!!

I DONT KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE ???
any ideas ???

COULD IT BE CAUSE IT IS ON A SLANT UP ON RAMPS???

thanks so much you guys for your answers, I just DONT want to get rid of my car, I want to fix it, and you guys have come to my rescue, thanks so much.....- Lori

I

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.