ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All, I'm neck deep in a project. Pulled the head and had it r and r. Just got it back and after a bunch of cleaning, I've installed the head. The engine is at TDC and the head is also at tdc with bunny ears up on first cylinder. Im trying to avoid taking the front cover off to get this done so any help would be appreciated. I’ve searched high and low so your help is much appreciated. Ive read that with the sprocket at the 1 position that the shiny link should be at the 1 indicator but clearly that's not the case here. What next? Thanks in advance.

Facts since I cant post a picture:
Engine at TDC -1 and 6 at highest point

Head at TDC (bunny ears up)

Sprocket in 1 position
Shiny link at 10 o'clock or between the 2 and 3 outer mark

·
Registered
979 Posts
I got all hung up on the shiny link as well. Main thing is does the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket look right? at TDC on the crank pulley, bunney ears up on #1 (just to be sure is the rotor is pointing to #1 on the cap) shine a light in there and see if the notch on the camshaft gear is lining up with the line on the cam shaft retainer. If it is you should be good to go, hands spin it a few times to be sure. get a pic if you can. I had the same kind of problem, with the shiny link business, I ended up messing with it enough for the wedge to come loose, and then I had to pull the front cover to fix the tensioner... After that I did not even try to get the shiny link on the bottom lined up right. Just fiddled with the chain until I had the correct timing based on the camshaft slot per above. Works fine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just went back an watched an old video of mine, On the orig head the shiny mark was on 3, so I have no idea what was going on. Think I will withdraw my orig statement above. Proceed at your own risk. I know the engine runs fine (per the video above) but now I am starting to wonder about it again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just went back an watched an old video of mine, On the orig head the shiny mark was on 3, so I have no idea what was going on. Think I will withdraw my orig statement above. Proceed at your own risk. I know the engine runs fine (per the video above) but now I am starting to wonder about it again.
The shiny link can be anywhere as long as the timing marks are correct. The shiny link is only an aid during assembly'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts