ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1983 280zx manual transmission,non turbo, federal emissions, but It came without an ECM and I don't know where to find wich computer it takes
I've seen them on eBay for about $100 but I need the number if anyone can help me it would be appreciated thanks

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,395 Posts
I have an 83 ZXT and I don't believe the ECU has any communication with the transmission. Just get a non-turbo ECU from that year. There may be other years that also work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, my problem is the car does not have a computer so I don't know the number that it takes on eBay they don't usually tell you the year that it fits so I need someone who has a 1983 280zx non turbo federal emissions to tell me the computer # or if somebody has one for sale I would buy it . Thanks

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Chime, chime, chime, the turbo ecu and non turbo ecu's are not interchangeable. The 82 and 83 turbo cars use the same basic ecu regardless what some of the vendors say. They had a little different mapping between California and Federal cars and between manual trans cars and automatic cars but it's really insignificant. They will all work fine as long as the ecu is in good condition and I've mixed and matched them between all the numbers. The 81 ecu's are different so stay away from them for your zx. The 81 ecu is an off green color and the 82-83 ecu's are black unless either has been repainted. I can get either model of ecu rebuilt without any issues as long as the micro processor is good in the ecu. Once that part of the ecu goes bad then it's a paper weight. Z man of Washington

1 - 6 of 6 Posts