ZCar Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here is a picture of the back of my alternator on an '82 280ZXT. Doesn't seem to have a red wire connected...

Here is also a picture of a red wire (like in your pic) that looks like it's for the bay light.
Do you have the bay light? Connected and working?

Also in this area is the injector fan that also has a red wire (see pic).

Do any of these help?

View attachment 111296

View attachment 111297

View attachment 111298

View attachment 111299
Got a working alternator, 1 of the wires wasn’t plugged in correctly so my battery light was staying on with the car off and keys out. Got it plugged in correctly and the battery light turned off. However now all of my dash lights are on when the car is running and my battery won’t even charge when I plug in a battery charger, any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The empty hole you circled is for a different application, not for a Z or ZX. That is a reman alternator and it fits numerous Japanese cars. You are not missing a wire on your fusible link like you thought, that's an unused hole. The black link in front of it is for the alternator and a few other items. It sounds like you have a defective alternator, very common out there. If you buy an alternator or starter from a budget auto parts store for these cars you're setting yourself up for failure. They have about a 65% failure ratio on these cars, especially if they claim that the alternator has a lifetime warranty. That's just bait to get a sale. Check the voltage at the hot lead on the alternator with a volt meter with the engine not running and then with the engine running just like Kickstand mentioned. That was good advice however NEVER, NEVER, NEVER disconnect a battery cable with the engine running. That can only be done on cars with a generator. Do that on an alternator car and the alternator can go into an overload mode and burn out all kinds of items. It may not happen every time but it's not worth the risk. Z man of Washington
Got the battery and alternator tested, battery is good but the alternator is only putting out 11V. Should I just go with a new alternator instead of trying a remanufactured one for the third time?

21 - 22 of 22 Posts