ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having trouble starting a 1982 280zx I recently bought. I got it close to starting after getting a remanufactured starter & ignition coil, but as soon as the coil was thrown in & I tried starting it, the green relay behind the battery blew (I saw the smoke come from there so I assumed it was this one). I was told it was the starter relay so I got a new one, but now the fuel pump won’t start, the dash won’t light up as well as a couple other interior lights, and nothing happens when I try to start it.
I’m kinda lost in the sauce as far as doing mechanical work myself so I’m not sure what to do now. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you only started having worse problems after you changed something, go back and verify installation (making sure wires are hooked up correctly, nothing shorting to ground, etc.). Almost sounds like you fried the fuel pump relay, and probably the ignition relay (hopefully not more components) by shorting the coil '+' lead to ground somehow. Check your wires and verify that you haven't melted anything else.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
before you replaced the ignition coil and starter, how much trouble did it have starting? was it cranking? was the fuel pump kicking on? was it starting and then suddenly dying?
did it ever start up at all? were you able to determine if it was no spark no fuel or just not simply cranking? (hence getting the starter)
there is one other item you may have overlooked.... the ignitor. unlike the NA 280zx cars, the turbos had an ignitor. if this has gone bad, you're car will not start.

Bon

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,588 Posts
before you replaced the ignition coil and starter, how much trouble did it have starting? was it cranking? was the fuel pump kicking on? was it starting and then suddenly dying?
did it ever start up at all? were you able to determine if it was no spark no fuel or just not simply cranking? (hence getting the starter)
there is one other item you may have overlooked.... the ignitor. unlike the NA 280zx cars, the turbos had an ignitor. if this has gone bad, you're car will not start.

Bon
Tell me more about this "ignitor". I've had an 83 ZXT for 30 years, have had the turbo rebuilt and the head off, and I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Hey Pilgrim,

So, the zx turbo has a "transistor ignition unit" that is mounted on the bracket for the ignition coil. the non-turbo cars have a "transistor-power ignition unit" on the side of the distributor. Technically they don't refer to it as an "ignitor" but I think on the forums and within the turbo Z circles, owners refer to it as ignitor for the sake of simplicity and to not be confused with the ignition module from the 75-83 NA cars. I'm not really sure why nissan did this change, other than the design and shape of the dizzy on the turbo car is slightly different and they went with an "ignitor" instead. Go pull out your ignition coil and you should see the little transistor box attached to the bracket. and you shouldn't see any little box attached to the side of the distributor. Having the head, turbo removed, rebuilt, and what not would give you no indication of an ignitor, as it has nothing to do with the operation of those components. its purpose is part of the car's ignition system. and it's so well hidden that most folks wouldn't even know it.... heck, I didn't!
Yours has probably never failed, so that's another reason that you may have never heard of it. but if it does fail, you're gonna be SOL because you can't get these anymore. Have a used one on hand for a rainy day!

Bon

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
your welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts