ZCar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be attempting my first suspension work on my 82 280ZX. I have read at least 50 different threads now pertaining to the type of shocks and / or springs needed for the rear replacement...so much now that my head is swimming. I was hoping to post two questions which I know have been asked before, but I am struggling to understand.

On my 82, if I push down on the rear of the car, it will bounce a few times. Also, when driving, when I go over any bump...not only does the car bump up an down...it also squeaks a lot.

My two questions are:

1. Since I am going to be doing the shocks anyway, should I go ahead and do the springs? My thought was to do the shocks and see how it rides, as from what I have read...springs only affect the height of the car and how much the back pushes down when accelerating. Both of these things seem to be fine.

2. It seems like the KYB shocks are the brand with the most positive feedback. I have seen KYB, KYB 2, Gas-A-Just and Absorber Excel-G. Just curious if any of you had a preference or what the main difference is.

Thanks for the help and feedback.
MC

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just a heads up, if you use the KYB Gas A Just for 82-83 rear on a 82 NA it will jack the rear up like a 70's bitchen Camaro. Not a pretty sight on a 280ZX. I know this from my own experience long ago on a 82 NA. Use the ones for a 79-81. The 82-83 turbo shocks are more massive and the perch is higher.

This was confirmed by KYB engineering in a document I had many computers ago from them. The rear assembly on NA's was not changed till 83 so they say. I have them on my 83 turbo and they lift the rear a little bit on that even, but they keep the rear planted very well.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
i used the kyb shocks on my 87 300zx, but i can't tell if it jacked up the rear on the car because it looks the same as it did before with the original ones. anyways, i got a set of four off of ebay for a pretty good price and the car feels much better when driving now. i also went ahead and got a complete poly-eurothane bushing set replacement, but maybe that is why the ride is a much better feel. if you are going to be doing your struts, you might as well get bushings too... yours are probably shot. you can still get the oem rubber ones if you choose. i didn't replace the springs on my car, but that was my choice.

good luck on your car and enjoy the ride! once you get everything swapped under there, you will be amazed at how good the ride feels on the road, friend.:grin

the bonster

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Just a heads up, if you use the KYB Gas A Just for 82-83 rear on a 82 NA it will jack the rear up like a 70's bitchen Camaro. Not a pretty site on a 280ZX. I know this from my own experience long ago on a 82 NA. Use the ones for a 79-81. The 82-83 turbo shocks are more massive and the perch is higher.

This was confirmed by KYB engineering in a document I had many computers ago from them. The rear assembly on NA's was not changed till 83 so they say. I have them on my 83 turbo and they lift the rear a little bit on that even, but they keep the rear planted very well.
X2
Or just go with Tokico ket.
I bought Monro's and mount them on my 83 280ZX.Close to the original tokico rear shocks.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,408 Posts
I have Tokicos on my '83 and they work fine. My suggestion is to leave the springs alone and look at bushings for squeaks.

With rubber bushings, one really cheap anti-squeak move is to load a spray bottle with water and dishwashing liquid, and spray the bushings down. You'd be surprised how long it lasts after you spray liquid soap solution on a bushing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Per the above, do you guys just use the Tokico (or KYB) gas shock? I looked and there are gas or oil options for the shocks.

Forgive my ignorance on this...just not sure what is best.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I second what WI280ZX said. Had an '82 that came with KYBs and the rear end was so high that the tires were actually canted inward at the bottom. It looked like some kind of big, red praying mantis about to pounce, and rode like the axles were welded to the frame. (In the front, too.) I'll never put KYBs on anything again.
I'm not much into teeth-rattling "performance". I like a firm but compliant ride. I've used Gabriels for years (on other cars, never a Z - yet, anyway) and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I took WI280ZX's advice and ordered the KYB 9101's, which were the ones for the 79 - 81 era ZX. Not that a bitchin' Camaro look is a bad thing! :surprise

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,408 Posts
It's unfortunate that so many people fail to post the actual solution when they achieve it. It can be frustrating.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Any word. I have this issue now. Would like to solve
Why don't you just try and PM the original poster and see if he responds. If he fixed his issue and he's still on here, I'm sure he'd tell you.
What's the exact problem you're having on your car?

Bon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts