ZCar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been battling with the drivers side door on my 280zx. It won’t open from the inside or the outside. After several hours of using various slim Jim’s and coat hangers I finally gave up that method after I was almost certain I was pulling on the right part. I finally (begrudgingly) cut through the interior door panel so I can see the internals of the door. I can physically pull on the rod that actuates the handle, and can physically move the lock mechanism up but the door still won’t open. I have no idea what my next steps should be. Any advise it greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,854 Posts
That's a really weird issue... unfortunately I can't think of a way to correct that. you could get the factory service manual and look up the body section and see what it says about the door mechanism.... might be another way to get it open.
you can download the FSM for free at www.xenonzcar.com in the reference section.

Bon

· Super Moderator
8 / 71 240Z, HLS30-40031, L24-052899, Sunshine Yellow
331 Posts
Since you are going to need another door latch, I would get one to see exactly how it works. And to see what it does, that yours doesn’t do. And maybe how to disassemble yours from inside the door.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you are going to need another door latch, I would get one to see exactly how it works. And to see what it does, that yours doesn’t do. And maybe how to disassemble yours from inside the door.
I took apart the passenger side door hoping to figure out something else to do. Unfortunately it’s still stuck. I used a crow bar to pry the door open slightly to see the latch. I tried prying it up with a long screw driver and it wouldn’t budge. I’m debating grinding through the door and then just buying a new (used) door. I would hate to do that but I don’t know what else to try

· Registered
65 Posts
I took apart the passenger side door hoping to figure out something else to do. Unfortunately it’s still stuck. I used a crow bar to pry the door open slightly to see the latch. I tried prying it up with a long screw driver and it wouldn’t budge. I’m debating grinding through the door and then just buying a new (used) door. I would hate to do that but I don’t know what else to try
This worked for my 81 zx around a year ago which I'm quoting from another form "The door hinge pin sleeves may be worn allowing the door's weight to rest on the latch. You may have already done so, but, when you trip the door latch, simultaneously lift up on the door with some force and rocking motion to relieve any door latch interference with door jamb latch". If your Z has some rust and has been sitting you can also use this method by jacking up the unibody subframe in proximity to the door latch to allow the stress on the door to relieve enough to allow the latch to release this method usually has to be done with cars that have been sitting and the subframe is rotted or deteriated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts