ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys this is my first time on this web site and you guessed it, I have a problem that I am hoping I can get some help.

Well here it goes....

I bought a 1981 280zx fuel injected car, it's body is in really good shape and the interior is also in great shape. I am hoping the motor is too, but am pretty sure it is. That is, I bought it off a friend of a friend who had it for 10 years. Anyways, I got a real deal, I only payed $1000.00 for it - okay I know I got a steal!

Anyways back to my problem... which is guys, the car starts up with the first turn of the key, runs for about 3 seconds and shuts off. It has no response to the gas peddle . The car has got spark obviously , the car is getting it's fuel,at least for a couple of seconds. I have put a new coil on the car . The car does not have an exteior ballas. The car has an electronic ignition . I have racked my brain trying to figure this one out and have run into a wall. So what I had to do was to bring it to a mechanic and he is not having much luck either. I don't think he has spent alot of time on it yet ,he has only had it for a day or so and is working on it in between other cars. He has told me that the fuel injectors have got continuity and the fuel line keeps it pressure ,I don't think this guy will let it beat him, but if anyone can think of anything that I'm over looking or have any suggestions , I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Check if the main injectors are actually getting signal, or if it is only running off the cold start injector (use a noid light to test). Find out if the fuel pump is turning off before the car stalls or after. This is a typical problem, but for several different reasons. I'll ramble some, and you can test them:

The fuel pump only runs: 2-3 seconds after key "ON", while key "START"ing, and when "ON" and the engine has oil pressure. Make sure it works in all three modes.

The cold start injector runs while "START"ing, this can allow the engine to run for a brief time. But this often covers a more serious problem of the main injectors not operating at all. Be sure to test them with a "noid light", if you don't have blinky-blinky then you have a more serious problem.

Report back here with a complete explaination of what you find.

...and go buy a Factory Service Manual (FSM), you'll like the reading, and your mechanic will make a new friend.

ConorP

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey what's up.
i have almost the same exact problem on my recently bought '80 280zx.
i start the engine and the tackometer goes up, then the car dies after a second or two. but then i start it again and it usually stays running. this car is also fuel injected. so i had the fuel pressure and pump checked, but they check out fine.
so now were looking at the cold start valve. i think that could be a problem.
anyhoo, just thought i'd let you know that your not alone on dealing with this problem. i will let you know if we figure out how to get my z to stop dying.
also try puting in the highest octaine gas in yours.

take care

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Try disconnecting the oil pressure sending unit before you start the car. If it stays running then you have a bad sending unit. It provides a ground signal when there is no oil pressure in order to cut the fuel pump. It is ignored during cranking but if it is stuck in the closed position it will cut the fuel pump after start. Note that if your fuel pump keeps running after you shut off the car, you need to reconnect the oil pressure sender and disconnect the battery momentarily to get it to shut off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.