ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get replacement for the Ignition Coil Power Transistor on my 1981 280ZX Turbo? Thanks

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Where can I get replacement for the Ignition Coil Power Transistor on my 1981 280ZX Turbo? Thanks
unfortunately this one part, the igniter, is the greatest problem part from the turbo Z that has been discontinued. the only way i can think to get another one is to find one that is used, say from a salvage yard car, or other parts car, running or not running.

another thing you can think about is doing the Z31 300zx ECU conversion which does away with the problematic electrical system and the igniter issue on your ZX. there is a great write-up on this modification over on xenonzcar.com

these igniters are hard to find, even used.

good luck

Bon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately this one part, the igniter, is the greatest problem part from the turbo Z that has been discontinued. the only way i can think to get another one is to find one that is used, say from a salvage yard car, or other parts car, running or not running.

another thing you can think about is doing the Z31 300zx ECU conversion which does away with the problematic electrical system and the igniter issue on your ZX. there is a great write-up on this modification over on xenonzcar.com

these igniters are hard to find, even used.

good luck

Bon
Do you have the link z31 300zx ecu conversion?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
alternative "Igniter"

I have used a variety of parts from different cars. You can use just about any part that uses the "Igniter" on a nissan, it doesn't have to be the part on the distributor bracket. The part is a BiPolar power transistor, it is used on most single coil setups from Nissan.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have used a variety of parts from different cars. You can use just about any part that uses the "Igniter" on a nissan, it doesn't have to be the part on the distributor bracket. The part is a BiPolar power transistor, it is used on most single coil setups from Nissan.
Jeff, do you happen to have a part number for this alternate transistor, or a list of what vehicles it was used on? i am assuming pre 90's and not the modern nissans.

btw, aren't you the guy with that awesome 280zx turbo? i'm pretty sure i read about it in an old issue of sport-Z-magazine years ago.

cheers,

Bon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts