ZCar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my issue’s are I can’t get my timing marks lined up (timing plate and the notched Pulley) and I barely have power going up my driveway (staling multiple times) and the car likes to backfire above 2k rpm (gets worse the higher you go)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What's the service history? Have you done any work that might have changed the timing chain or distributor installation?
i fully rebuilt the motor both the timing chain and distributor have been replaced im positive the chain is on correctly and decently sure the distributor is also installed correctly. whenever i go from a deadstop in first the car likes to fall on its face and stall the only way to prevent this is to push the accelerator far down besides that the car goes through all gears fine besides a backfire above 2k rpm. I currently have no exhaust on the car besides headers (i'm not sure if this effect's anything)

·
Registered
21 Posts
i fully rebuilt the motor both the timing chain and distributor have been replaced im positive the chain is on correctly and decently sure the distributor is also installed correctly. whenever i go from a deadstop in first the car likes to fall on its face and stall the only way to prevent this is to push the accelerator far down besides that the car goes through all gears fine besides a backfire above 2k rpm. I currently have no exhaust on the car besides headers (i'm not sure if this effect's anything)
CK the DISTRIBUTOR VACUUM ADVANCE, put a timing light on it and pull the hose on the vacuum advance, put another on and suck on the hose while watching the timing mark, did it advance??? This will cause, low power, back fire.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is your throttle position switch working? Have you checked it according to the FSM? Have you gone thru all of your electrical connectors on the motor and cleaned them? A crappy connection at the CHTS and the AFM will give you drivability issues. You will eventually have to do the entire diagnostic procedure that is in the FSM to figure this out otherwise it is just guessing and hit and miss. Do the procedure! All of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CK the DISTRIBUTOR VACUUM ADVANCE, put a timing light on it and pull the hose on the vacuum advance, put another on and suck on the hose while watching the timing mark, did it advance??? This will cause, low power, back fire.
vacuum advance had its vacuum lines in all the wrong places which i fixed but now the car will not run long enough to check if its fixed this is probably a timing issue which i need to figure out ill let you know what happens

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is your throttle position switch working? Have you checked it according to the FSM? Have you gone thru all of your electrical connectors on the motor and cleaned them? A crappy connection at the CHTS and the AFM will give you drivability issues. You will eventually have to do the entire diagnostic procedure that is in the FSM to figure this out otherwise it is just guessing and hit and miss. Do the procedure! All of it.
throttle position sensor is completely loose and can be turned by hand and 1 out of the 2 screws is broken inside the throttle body i need to fix it and get adjust it. chts connection is clean and afm connection is clean along with all electrical connections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you put some pieces of masking tape on the plug leads ( & numbered them 1-6) before removing them. It's just possible you may have a mix-up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you put some pieces of masking tape on the plug leads ( & numbered them 1-6) before removing them. It's just possible you may have a mix-up.
first thing i checked when i began this ordeal i found out 2 of my plug wires weren't making a connection with the dizzy cap so im gonna take it for a cruise and see how it does

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cars of this age have vac. lines in pretty poor condition. Check each line where it gets expanded over the bump on the metal tube. They really like to split back up the tube. Only fix is to replace with new quality tubing. Only do one at a time to stop introducing human errors which will make things worse. pcs1z
PS Cutting the old tube short, and pushing it back on the fitting will only result in the same problem next week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cars of this age have vac. lines in pretty poor condition. Check each line where it gets expanded over the bump on the metal tube. They really like to split back up the tube. Only fix is to replace with new quality tubing. Only do one at a time to stop introducing human errors which will make things worse. pcs1z
PS Cutting the old tube short, and pushing it back on the fitting will only result in the same problem next week.
vac lines have all been replaced including fuel lines

1 - 15 of 15 Posts