ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I’ve got a 280zx that I wanted to but some modern day touches on, first I’d like to get a BT radio in one, but I cant find forum or tutorials anywhere, next I wanted to change my boost gauge with one that reads in pounds, and a couple more modern luxuries, like automatic lights, and a remote lock.
I'm mostly having trouble with the radio, but any and all help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a kit out there to put a single din radio in place of the stock unit, but when I researched it, all the reviews were negative and most said they didn't even use the thing it was so bad. I am making my own using a door kick plate of brushed aluminum and cutting it with a jig saw.

·
Registered
1984 280ZX Turbo
936 Posts
Some years ago I bought a single DIN kit from Crutchfield. It was a metal sheet with black wrinkle texture that fastened onto the radio panel if the overlay for the stock radio was removed. It worked just fine, and I still use it. I also stored the stock radio and overlay (which had the worst AM reception of any unit I've ever seen) since the mod would be reversible if desired.

I don't know if they still have them, but Googling might yield something. It was a simple single metal plate with screws to mount into the panel in the top corners, and IIRC at each bottom corner as well. It's really a pretty simple mod. The main thing to watch for would be locating the radio in the center of the panel, and if anything, a bit above center. Depth of the radio is a consideration because there's a fair amount of stuff behind it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The radio upgrade is simple. The most challenging part is the wiring of the 2-stage power antenna. I ended up adding a toggle switch in line with the remote output from the HU to basically manually switch the antenna off (normally here since I’m streaming) or the switch to low for full antenna extension if I’m listening to FM.

I fabricated a new faceplate using some sheet metal I had and painted it matte black to match the rest of the interior gauges and such. With a mechless (no CD) unit, there is a ton of extra room making wiring very easy.

In a nutshell remove the kick panels (2 screws each), remove the lower trim on each side of the radio console (1 screw each), remove the radio console (8 small bolts). Remove the old unit. Install new face plate, figure out the wiring colors (or buy an adapter if you can find one still), install new HU into the face plate, wire it up, reinstall the radio console section and trim panels.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I use a Bluetooth FM Transmitter with the stock radio and Transmit Anything from my phone to it. The hands free microphone isn't that great but The transmitter and BT function works great. It even accepts a SD card
Nulaxy Bluetooth Car FM Transmitter Audio Adapter

·
Registered
1984 280ZX Turbo
936 Posts
I added a one DIN radio when Bluetooth and ran the mic cable up to the overhead trim for the T-top in my '83.

It works fine, but above about 50 MPH the interior is noisy enough that the phone function really is useless.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I want to get one of those Retro Sound radios. Should fit in the stock opening (if you had the 3 speaker non-eq radio). Crutchfield says it won't fit, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's not officially listed on the Retro Sound website.

I just wish there was a radio harness kit that plugged into the stock connector. I don't want to cut my radio harness, as the car is stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts