ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I don't have any vacuum leaks in the power brakes in my 1980 ZX 2 seater. But the hoses are probably original, and have about 0 elasticity remaining. I'd like to replace the hoses but can't find the correct parts at the usual Z/ZX stores (Z Car Source, Z Car Depot, and Z Car Store). Looks like the Z Car Store has the 81-83 vacuum line that connects from the manifold to the check valve for the turbo cars, but no parts in stock for the non-turbo cars.

What's the difference in the engine side vacuum hose for the turbos vs the NA cars? Googling images of Turbo engine bays makes me think it's the same hose. It's shaped the same, from what I can tell.

I'll check eBay and see what comes up, but wanted to get some insight as to what others have found.

@zmanofwashington maybe you have a lead on what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put a page together this weekend showing how I made both booster hoses for my '71 for just $20. Easy to do.

Click here
Thank you for the article. I'm intrigued by the article and the method.

I'm going to research this some more. I'll need to get the old hose off, and I hope it comes off in one piece....it's pretty stiff.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm always a skeptic but have to admit it worked better than expected. Regardless, I hope you find a solution.
You might want to look at some of the other pages on my site because I'm always ready to share good tips and tricks.
I have looked at several pages on your site. You've done quite the job restoring your 240.

3/8" seems small though. Looking at the Z Store, the same clamps are used for all years, but my hose looks like it's at least a 1/2, or maybe a 5/8.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have looked at several pages on your site. You've done quite the job restoring your 240.

3/8" seems small though. Looking at the Z Store, the same clamps are used for all years, but my hose looks like it's at least a 1/2, or maybe a 5/8.
It might be. Harbor Freight sells plastic calipers for $1.99 which are perfect for a garage mechanic, but they're probably closed due to the virus. Use a tape measure and your local parts store might be willing to cut a 1" piece of various sizes to let you check for certain. Make sure you get fuel hose and not coolant (or other) hose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one of those digital calipers to measure in both mm and in. I'll definitely measure before I make a purchase.

Thanks again for the awesome tip on custom bending vacuum lines! I had never heard of this before, but I will definitely use this in the future since most vacuum lines on my 80ZX are original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts