ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my thermostat housing is toasted, I have a few questions.
1. Will a 1981 turbo thermostat housing fit on my 1980 car?
2. If not does anyone have a non turbo 1980 thermostat housing?
3. Where could I find a 1980 non turbo thermostat housing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
They are all pretty similar but I don’t have my 79 one here at the moment to compare.

The pic below is a Maxima (the one together) and the other? Not positive, could be from an 82-83 turbo I parted but it does not have 4 fully drilled holes for the sensors on the front like mine. It has 2 fully drilled.

Maxima has 3 drilled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can’t remember the reason I didn’t use one of these other than the holes that can be drilled and tapped. I decided to just repair the pitting on mine with JBweld.

It may be that the small rear side outlet is lower on mine. I thought mine was higher, but looking at the others it can’t be. That is where you may run into a fitment issue because that is right where the fuel line/rail runs.

Mine has a 90 degree elbow right there that shoots back and down at a slight angle. I think the others either come straight out or back and up slightly. Not positive

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have bought a number of small parts like that from a forum user here that goes by 'borini63'. He has a lot of parts and is great to deal with.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here’s my 79 for reference. The outlet angles up, not down. I know they did change the routing at some point and instead of the 90 elbow, the outlet came straight out.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The elbows can be changed. All zx t-stat housings are the same from 80-83. The 79 housing is one of a kind because it was the only year that had a water temp sensor in it. After that they went to a head temp sensor. Z man of Washington

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The elbows can be changed. All zx t-stat housings are the same from 80-83. The 79 housing is one of a kind because it was the only year that had a water temp sensor in it. After that they went to a head temp sensor. Z man of Washington
What is the purpose of the elbow? I know it hooks up to an extra coolant line, but where does that fit into the cooling loop? I'm gonna be converting my car from efi to triple webbers (sacrilege I know but I love how they sound) and I don't know what to do with that elbow when the fuel rail is gone.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cap it, or if the elbow can be unscrewed, or is threaded, a brass cap from a home improvement store can probably be used here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Zman.

It goes to the air regulator, I guess to help warm it up faster, then comes back to the hard line that goes across the front of the motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts