ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hanging out here alot (reasearching), read many helpful postings, searching for help on 80ZX NA, 5 speed: transplanted 81 motor, all hooked up except exhaust sensor (using 80 style air induction). Car started/ran fine. Set timing, moved idler screw. Several adjustments later, began idling at 1500 rpm (steady). Could not get idle down, drove this way (was daily driver). Month later, car quit, no voltage at coil or IC unit; wired directly to battery(probably mistake?)to get off side of road. Car ran OK several weeks (should have parked, tough to do) but harder to start. Now gets intermittent spark (at coil). Been through manual and this site and have corrected many problems, still wont run. Think narrowed it down to ignition switch, brain, pickup coil, or all three. Advice would be most welcome. Somewhat rural home means $40 cab fare and rental car tomorrow (ran out of food). Time to park & finish restoration, but hate to give up on this puzzle. Muchas gracias!! for advice, sorry for long posting. I have already received so much help from you guys -- I am truly grateful; will reciprocate any way possible. Thanks, MM

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 1980/81ZX DOWN, puzzle for you (long)</b>

first check the distributor bearings to make sur that the car is not running out of time. second, the module on the distributor is badly placed and will lead to hard starts and poor running conditions if the circuits are bad. I normally stock 2 to 3 of them in my store for the guys running 280zx cars in my PA parts store about 1 mile down from Pocono raceway as these guys run hard in the summer months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding to my post. Found distributor magnet in parts when pulled pickup coil. Pocono huh?. Sounds good to me. Feel free to E-mail, we also have lots of Z parts (gratis for good home). Ciao, MM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.