ZCar Forum banner

1980 280ZX - Sometimes Have Power to Accessories (Radio, Blower Motor, Wipers, etc.) in Either the "ACC" or "ON" Key Position and Sometimes Not

2K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  SteveAb 
I can probably get to the diagnostics this weekend. I'll see if I can email you the wiring diagram, too.

I'm on the "bad ignition switch" side.
It wouldn't surprise me, but I want to make sure he does enough to confirm the fault. The parts cannon was already fired once.

I emailed @BadDog42 some diagnostics that should help us to narrow down the cause of his problems.

I did a little more searching. The part is available from Nissan. Switch Ignition 48750-E7705 | Courtesy Parts Yes, it's more than the Rockauto parts, but I bet it's built better.
I also looked through the FSM. I forgot to look at the ST section. You have to remove the lower trim panel and the bottom of the clamshell on the steering column. Then you can pull the bolts that hold the steering column in place. That should let it droop down enough to get a small screwdriver around back.
Font Parallel Auto part Circle Diagram

I recommend pulling the negative cable on the battery before doing this.

Keep in mind that the FSM was for the dealers to maintain the cars. It took over 40 years for that part to fail. It wasn't something the dealers would encounter unless repairing damage on a stolen vehicle.
When I was working on an 82 280ZX turbo, the upper part of the clamshell was too much of a PITA to remove. While you can access the electrical connector without letting the steering wheel hang down, I'm doubting you can get a screwdriver back there. There are just two screws to remove to replace the module, but you might add some new cuss words to your vocabulary. If you pull the knee panel and the two bolts that I indicated, the steering column should sag down enough to access the back of the switch.
Here's pretty much what it looks like. I found the photo on ZCarDepot's website.
Crankset Nickel Bicycle part Font Rim

You can see the screws on the back side.

For the shear screws, I use a dremel or cold chisel to cut a groove in the head to remove it with a screw driver. I had to do that a few months back when the steering lock mechanism in my 73 was misbehaving. I actually had a replacement unit on hand for about 9 years.

I'm glad you got the switch taken care of.

I learned that from a good friend.

Yes, the accessories turn off during starting. You want the battery to be focused on powering the starter since it is a large drain. If the charge on the battery is low, the accessories could keep the starter from having enough power. Are the accessories not coming back on when letting the key go from Start to ON?

Confirm you really have a problem. Z Car Depot offers an aftermarket solution for the ignition switch. Ignition Switch With Keys 280ZX 79-83

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.