ZCar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 280 ZX that has been sitting for 10 yrs. Last weekend, I replaced the battery, changed the oil and filter to see if I could at least start it. When I turned the ignition I didn’t hear the fuel pump, so I decided to change it. Once I did that, it started right up; but couldn’t ideal on its own. I had to keep my foot on the accelerator. I realized I have a leak from the feed line. I assume the rubber around the feed line that held it up caused it to rust. I’m looking for a replacement line but they don’t have it for my year. Any recommendations?
Tire Automotive tire Tread Bumper Wood

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
are you talking about the rubber hoses or the metal lines? you can get rubber hoses at parts stores if you know the right size (make sure they are for fuel) and if its the factory metal lines are corroded and need replaced, you will most likely have to resort to a salvage yard. find a ZX and take those lines if you can.

also, put a fuel pressure gauge up to the engine bay and make sure you are getting proper PSI up to the filter and manifold.

Bon

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, use 304 stainless tubing to make a new line.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Z cars have such great OEM and high quality aftermarket support that there’s very little that is unavailable on a 52 yr old sports car, save for a few bits and piece. I’m just saying, probably even better than Ford is doing with the Mustang.

Owning and driving a 42 year old import will necessitate that you are going to have to at times fabricate parts and tools yourself that you are going to need from time to time. Example in dash ductwork, electrical sub-harnesses, sheet metal, double flared rigid brake lines and in this case fuel hoses and tubing with a double bead formed to make a seal in your high pressure fuel injection system.

As stated above; find a donor ZX an it’s easier to pull the entire group of lines rather than just the one. Also, with the proper facilities and faculties you can make about anything for your car. Do your research on tube flaring kits, tube benders and materials available (like soft and ductile CiNi alloy) to replicate the factory line. I’ve hand fabricated all new brake lines, not a big deal, but I had to have the mandrel machined to maintain center on new KD Tools kit. You’re gonna have to get creative without over engineering things or just plain clapping out the system and creating a fire hazard underneath your car.

Or take it to a reputable restoration shop nearby in your area that can help you with the repair replacement. Sometimes you have to take it in to a professional and just sign the check. I have always wanted to do it for myself and then I have the skills to do it again on my next Z.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts