ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noticed this after I completed the front rotor/pad change on my 1980. Everything went fine with the install. Used the FSM to answer any questions, as well as torquing the spindle nut. I've completed several brake jobs in the past, and changed out a few wheel hubs, but those have always been sealed bearings. I've never packed a hub/spindle manually. Fun and messy learning experience.

As I was cleaning up, I wiped down the old grease seal, and saw one side had a "Bearing Side" marking. My new seals did not have anything stamped on it. One side of new seal was mostly flat, and the other had a groove/channel. I have the groove side currently installed on the bearing side (facing inside the hub). The flat side is facing the engine of the car on both sides.

Did a test drive just to make sure the wheels weren't going to fall off, and the car wouldn't catch fire. Just want to make sure there won't be any issues with the grease seal orientation.

I should add the old grease seal had a groove on both sides. Grooves weren't identical front and back, but the design was slightly different. New and old seals were same diameter and thickness, so I know I installed the right part.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,050 Posts
Yes, the solid side goes away from the grease and bearings. The inner / open side goes toward the bearings.

The solid side prevents dirt from getting in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it right by accident. Better to be lucky than good. Thanks everyone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts