ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 79 280ZX since January 1980 and it is 22 this week. The car is original -- original clutch, wheels, etc. I cannot sell it because of sentimental reasons. That leaves me with some kind of restoration. I noticed some discussion about ball joints on this forum. Mine needs them too. It will need at least a new driver's seat and it sports some rust on one or two lower panels. Although it has been garaged nearly all of its life, it could use paint.

I don't have the time or skills to do the work myself. So I have to farm it out. I am located in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, D. C. Does anyone know someone knowledgeable and reliable in this area who can work on a 280ZX?

· Registered
25 Posts
same story...

depends if you will be using the car for commuting.

I am only 16, and I have a '79 280zx. it was given to me by my parents, and i can't sell it for the same reason as you. So I am also restoring it. I wont touch the engine for a while, it has over 200,000 km (probably 130,000 miles) I will be my transport for a few years, until I can afford a nice motorbike. I have started restoring it by reading about car body repairs/spray painting and have sanded the paint back. When the engine next needs a service i'll pull it out and get it reconditioned, maybe buy another engine (another L28, turbo or chev V8) and once thats done (paint, engine) I'll do the interior.

My ball joints are also shot, apparently genuine Nissan ones are available, and they last longer.

I have no skills either, but you'll find with reading and practice you'll be able to master painting easily. If you have the equipment, that is.

It's important to have a plan for any restoration, I found that reading is helpful too.
I live in Australia so I can't help you with an expert in Washington!
Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.