ZCar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking to see if anyone can tell me what the small outlet on the top left of the fuel tank does? It goes up to the expansion tank. I recently had my tank restored and this small outlet is now stopped up. I cant fish a wire or anything into it to get it open. I assume it’s something to do with emissions and don’t really want to send the tank back across country for this repair. Thanks
Mike
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Tread Gas

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I think it might be for a breather hose that goes up to the expansion tank to prevent air from getting trapped in the tank when filling up. It would connect to the hose labelled 27 in the picture below.
Font Auto part Drawing Line art Parallel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Yes it’s the hose labeled 27. The large hose on the tank also goes to the vapor tank. When I look inside the tank the small line runs over to the middle of the tank and that’s where I loose sight of it. The large hose terminates just inside the tank. Do you think I should be concerned? I just hate to send the tank back across country and they would have to cut an access hole to try to unstop it. Thank you
Mike

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thank you. Yes it’s the hose labeled 27. The large hose on the tank also goes to the vapor tank. When I look inside the tank the small line runs over to the middle of the tank and that’s where I loose sight of it. The large hose terminates just inside the tank. Do you think I should be concerned? I just hate to send the tank back across country and they would have to cut an access hole to try to unstop it. Thank you
Mike
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by large hose. Are you referring to #23 in the picture I posted? If so, that goes up to the carbon cannister. As the tank heats up, vapor travels to that hose and gets captured by the carbon cannister. When the car is running, a valve will open for the car to draw air through the carbon cannister to pull the vapors into the intake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hose 27 goes from the top of the fuel tank to the bottom of the vapor tank. ( small hose on left in first picture I posted). Hose 23 goes from top of fuel tank to vapor tank( large hose on right in first picture I posted). Hose 34 goes from vapor tank to the charcoal canister in engine bay. My concerns are with hose 27 where it goes into the fuel tank. I can’t blow through that fitting that is on the fuel tank. If you look inside the fuel tank you can see that line running along the top inside the tank but I lose sight of the line about half way across the inside of the tank. I assume it is stopped up since I can’t blow through it. I had the tank restored and I am afraid the process stopped this line up. Thanks for the help.
Mike

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
How far can you poke something into the vent line before it stops? You can take a short length of 10AWG wire and strip off about 1/2 inch of insulation on one end. Clamp the other end into a drill. Run the wire into the line and operate the drill at a slow to moderate speed. The end of the wire may be enough to dig through the sealing material. If that doesn't work, try some 14AWG solid core wire. You can find that at any Home Depot or Lowe's. Cut the end of the wire at an angle to allow it to dig into the sealing material better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the wire idea. No success. To many bends in the line to get it to feed through. I guess it’s time to just ship it back. If I knew this line was not critical in the running of the car I would just go ahead and install it the way it is. Maybe this small line that is stopped up is a drain for liquid gas that collects in the vapor tank? (It is attached to the bottom of the vapor tank). Thanks again!
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts