ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
I am new to the forum so please excuse if I am going about this wrong.
I sent a message to "leftover z" -- but wanted to expand the search.
I am looking for a replacement heater control valve to my 280Z w/ factory air.
ZSource says that my existing valve is damaged -- so will not take it.
Valve has a pinhole leak at a joint.
Any ideas are welcome.
derek

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Non-Z Heater Control?

I forgot to ask -- does anyone know of a heater control valve from another make/model that would work (for now)? thanks -- derek

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rebuild the one you have
Palladin;

The auto shop I took it to said no way -- and the radiator shop said the same. That being said -- I am not planning on giving up -- but am looking for possible options in the meantime. Thanks for the reply!

Derek

·
Registered
158 Posts
We used to get another paper and put it over the pinhole on the joint, or just reroll it. Oh! Wait! Wrong kinda joint. Sorry! ;)~

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
The HEART of the heater/air con A/C switch is just a small, nickle sized rubber piece w/ holes in it. I think 2 phillips screws hold it in. Norm K.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I'd still like the pictures, but if you check here

http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?

They have heater valves for 72 and 75 as well as ZX. The bracket is what has changed. The valve is essentially the same. If you do not want to rebuild the one you have, then you could buy one of these and remove the valve from the bracket. It attaches by 2 screws. If you are not mechanically inclined, send them to me. Where are you located?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd still like the pictures, but if you check here

http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?

They have heater valves for 72 and 75 as well as ZX. The bracket is what has changed. The valve is essentially the same. If you do not want to rebuild the one you have, then you could buy one of these and remove the valve from the bracket. It attaches by 2 screws. If you are not mechanically inclined, send them to me. Where are you located?
Palladin;

Sorry for the late response. I gave my heater control to a do-it-all mechanically inclided friend to give a try at brazing/soldering -- so I do not have a picture at present. When I talk to him I will get a pic.

I greatly appreciate the response and info you provided. If fixing it does not work -- I will try a replacement.

Thanks again. derek

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
That thing usually did not leak from the brazed joints, it was the rubber gasket where it leaked.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Oh, heater valve...I just found some simple $35 brass heater valve on Ebay that seems to pop up every 30 days or so. It was the "heater MODE switch" I was thinking of, by mistake that has that rubber piece in it w/4holes. Norm K.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The Omaha club is still there, they have a great bunch of guys. I think Matt S. might be the head of it. They bring a very large contingent to the Branson Z-Fest every May.

Bonzi Lon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello;
I am new to the forum so please excuse if I am going about this wrong.
I sent a message to "leftover z" -- but wanted to expand the search.
I am looking for a replacement heater control valve to my 280Z w/ factory air.
ZSource says that my existing valve is damaged -- so will not take it.
Valve has a pinhole leak at a joint.
Any ideas are welcome.
derek
Hi Derek,
Yea I'm new also. I think I'm doing it right??
I fought that fight!! I know your pain. I couldn't find a new replacement anywhere. If you find one let me know where. I think you would be better off at a salvage yard.I removed the passenger seat so I could stretch out to get to the valve. I got the replacement hoses at the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Derek,
Yea I'm new also. I think I'm doing it right??
I fought that fight!! I know your pain. I couldn't find a new replacement anywhere. If you find one let me know where. I think you would be better off at a salvage yard.I removed the passenger seat so I could stretch out to get to the valve. I got the replacement hoses at the dealer.
No pain no gain -- at least that was what my drill instructor said many moons ago. My mechanically inclined friend figured out that it was in fact the gasket (no surprise after text above) -- but -- he bent the control valve (in vise) so that the screw holding the gasket is inop. So -- I am gearing up for a new plan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts