ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out which pipe on the fuel tank is fuel outlet and which is fuel return. The one on top is a bigger diameter, thus I would assume that's the one that goes to the fuel pump.

Here's a pic of the two pipes on my 77 280z tank, as you can see the one on top is bigger. Ignore the terrible hose work by PO.
http://imgur.com/OpddQRX

This image from the FSM also seems to say fuel outlet is on top:
http://imgur.com/bdMIj4Y

However common sense and searches around the internet seems to say that fuel outlet is the bottom pipe.

Can someone confirm that the fuel outlet pipe is on top or bottom?

·
Registered
541 Posts
My car is hooked up per the manual. Being a late model 260Z, the tank configuration is the same as yours.

You don't want to draw fuel from the bottom pipe because that's where all the sediment is.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would be surprised if the pickup tube is not close to the bottom of the tank. After all you want to use all the capacity of the tank, not just the part above the pickup tubes external location on the tank. The return line location should not matter as it is simply returning fuel to the tank.

In other words - the location of the tubes on the tank has very little to do with where the pickup or return are located inside the tank.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My car is hooked up per the manual. Being a late model 260Z, the tank configuration is the same as yours.

You don't want to draw fuel from the bottom pipe because that's where all the sediment is.
I would be surprised if the pickup tube is not close to the bottom of the tank. After all you want to use all the capacity of the tank, not just the part above the pickup tubes external location on the tank. The return line location should not matter as it is simply returning fuel to the tank.

In other words - the location of the tubes on the tank has very little to do with where the pickup or return are located inside the tank.
I have to take back what I said earlier about the late model 260Z and your car's tank. They definitely are not the same - sorry. :frown
I tend to agree now with dat240sun, especially after taking a close look at a gas tank from an early model 260Z, the external locations on the tank don't have much to do with where the internal tubes are routed. I'd go with what the manual says ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts