ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate in getting a BCCD that could be disassembled and cleaned periodically. It is in need of cleaning again and I am considering cutting out a plate that will fit over the manifold's BCCD port and sealing it off.

After carefully reviewing the shop manual I see no reason it would cause any deleterious effect on the performance. I do not need the steady RPM between gears which is about all the device does. After all, VW's, MG's, etc. don't have this device.

If anyone has attempted this and found a problem with it, please let me know before I begin the project next Monday.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, a long time ago my mechanic took the BCCD off my old 78 and put a plate over the opening. However, it would only idle at 2000-2200 rpm, thus we quickly put it back on. There might have been a vaccum leak of a small air passage that was not covered in the process of blocking that thing off. I think there was a electrical lead or a vaccum line going to it as well. Anyway I don't think you need a BCDD with those big throat throttle bodies, but I don't think the BCDD hurts performance either. Hope that helps, let us know if you are successful if you remove it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Don,
William is right, if you try to do this with the stock TB you will only have a high idle. The Big Throat comes without it but only because TWM doesn't want the expense of CARB board certification and the engineering and parts to put one on.
The BCDD is not hurting your performance at all. All it does is reduce HC emissions when you quickly come off the throttle. Your ECU expects a small amount of vacuum draw from it and meters for it so when you remove it you mess up your mixture. I'd keep it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I just removed mine because it had developed a reather large vaccum leak in it. I took a sheet of gasket material and cut it to the shape of the bcdd and then used some gasket sealant on it. You have to seal the part closest to the TB other wise you'll get a continuous vaccum leak. It runs fine, no harmful side effects whatosever. I just bolted it back up into place so it still looks stock.

Steve G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.