ZCar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help me out/give me some advice. I would like to give new life the original motor. I would like to give it some more power, nothing crazy at all. I would like the car to be reliable. Could you please give me some advice on what I could do to the naturally aspirated engine. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Run through the "ET - Engine Tune-Up" chapter of the factory service manual. Available to download here: XenonZcar.com S30 Factory Service manuals

If you've already done that, look into a multi-spark ignition box like MSD or something.

Also fix your vacuum leaks before doing the engine tuneup using a cigar or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Run through the "ET - Engine Tune-Up" chapter of the factory service manual. Available to download here: XenonZcar.com S30 Factory Service manuals

If you've already done that, look into a multi-spark ignition box like MSD or something.

Also fix your vacuum leaks before doing the engine tuneup using a cigar or something.
will look into that! also what would you suggest if I wanted to increase the power yet keep it reliable. Cams? pistons?

·
Registered
892 Posts
will look into that! also what would you suggest if I wanted to increase the power yet keep it reliable. Cams? pistons?
After you fix your vacuum leaks and give it a tuneup from the manual you can cam it i guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're willing to go as far as pistons, stroker, bore, etc, get the, How to Modify Your Datsun/Nissan OHC Engine book and look at the options there. Also, you can spend days reading the forum posts and articles online by doing simple google searches, but I bet you've already done that!

Other "simpler" ideas, not necessarily HP increases but performance nonetheless; stage 1 cam, 3.90:1 diff, LSD, lightened flywheel, lose the 280 bumpers (weight), turbo downpipe and 2.5" exhaust from the manifold back, lose the AC if you have it... Oh, don't forget the racing stripe, 15 hp immediately!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here is a shop that shows their different build options and approximate hp. This is for their builds but it should give you and idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a shop that shows their different build options and approximate hp. This is for their builds but it should give you and idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I literally called them today! lol, spoke about the different options. I am in between the stage 2 and 3. The issue with stage 3 for me is that he said I will need a stand alone ECU. I might consider the stage 2 with a proper tune.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can you guys help me out/give me some advice. I would like to give new life the original motor. I would like to give it some more power, nothing crazy at all. I would like the car to be reliable. Could you please give me some advice on what I could do to the naturally aspirated engine. Thank you in advance.
I suppose you can throw parts at it. However, done right, engines and cars are built in balance for specific purposes. Carbs compliment cams, valves and porting. Turbos boost horsepower but must be driving a tolerant low end. Many people are what I call "ricers". They put on a wing or other ground effects on a car and really don't even touch the suspension in a meaningful way. "OH! Dis **** looks fast!" They'll bolt on some loud exhaust system that gives little or no concern to the engine's needs for performance. "It sounds so fast though". So, what are your goals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts