ZCar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought car noticed 10 amp fuse missing. (location top right corner of fuse box 2nd one down)
installed 10am fuse and it blew. wire color (RW)
traced fuse goes to interior light, engine light (through C-7), clock, map lamp, and voltmeter (through C-1) (gas gauge works)
also lights in all gauges work as well.
disconnected C-1 (green color) Connector and reinstalled fuse did not blow.
interior light works and engine light works.
fuse only blows when C-1 (green connector) is connected
removed and disconnected clock, voltmeter gauge and map lamp.
reconnected C-1 and still blows fuse.
Has anyone seen this problem before?

·
Registered
736 Posts
if the green connector connects the 3 gauges unplug the gauges then plug them in 1 by 1 until the fuse blows then you'll know where to look/which wires to follow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the green connector connects the 3 gauges unplug the gauges then plug them in 1 by 1 until the fuse blows then you'll know where to look/which wires to follow
I traced it to i think something called "stg lock sw" which was shorting to ground. i just have to figure out what it is.
thx for your suggestion.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I traced it to i think something called "stg lock sw" which was shorting to ground. i just have to figure out what it is.
thx for your suggestion.
Are you looking in the factory service manual? I've never heard that term before. Could you plz link to the page showing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you looking in the factory service manual? I've never heard that term before. Could you plz link to the page showing this?
"stg lock sw" stands for steering lock switch according to 77 manual...im hoping that is where problem is. it was getting its power from C-1(green connector) LW(blue white) wire which also produced power for clock, voltmeter and map lamp. when i remove wire from this bundle short went away. 77 manual has steering lock switch in line with hazard and voltmeter...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"stg lock sw" stands for steering lock switch according to 77 manual...im hoping that is where problem is. it was getting its power from C-1(green connector) LW(blue white) wire which also produced power for clock, voltmeter and map lamp. when i remove wire from this bundle short went away. 77 manual has steering lock switch in line with hazard and voltmeter...
1977 manual (stg lock sw)

1976 manual (steering lock sw)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Is the steering lock switch part of the ignition switch? I've never heard of this part until today.

There are 2 ways to go about this. Follow the C1 wires around and see where there's bare wire poking out of the loom contacting metal (it shouldnt be the blue wire since you can power all of those gauges without this switch.

The other way to go about this is (if this is indeed a separate switch) just unplug it and move on with life (as long as the car will start without it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's just a "you left the key in" warning.
looks like previous owner wired steering lock switch backward causing ground to positive wire blowing fuse.. going to reinstall tonight..fingers crossed. if fixed i get my clock, voltmeter, map light, interior light and engine light back working...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like previous owner wired steering lock switch backward causing ground to positive wire blowing fuse.. going to reinstall tonight..fingers crossed. if fixed i get my clock, voltmeter, map light, interior light and engine light back working...
problem fixed!! crossed wires. life is good.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts