ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rebuilding my distributor and found a broken wire coming from the distributor harness, I found it while removing electrical tape. is this normal? see photo

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
The distributor has 2 pickups. One of them has been disabled.The green wire is supposed to go to both pickups.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The distributor has 2 pickups. One of them has been disabled.The green wire is supposed to go to both pickups.
that's what i was thinking but wondering why was it cut? i've been having timing issues hoping fixing this might correct it.
thx for the response..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
may have been a dizzy that was replaced. Some cars had single pickup fixed timing on the ign module. It gets a bit confusing but if you have a California car that year it may be correct to only have on pickup coil. You maybe able to tell by getting a good look at the ign module on the inside by the passenger side under the dash. You will have to dig out a FSM for that year, there should be illustrations to show you what I am talking about. IIRC the dual setup switches coils based on water temp, adds a few more degrees of timing once the car is warmed up. what kind of timing issues are you having?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
may have been a dizzy that was replaced. Some cars had single pickup fixed timing on the ign module. It gets a bit confusing but if you have a California car that year it may be correct to only have on pickup coil. You maybe able to tell by getting a good look at the ign module on the inside by the passenger side under the dash. You will have to dig out a FSM for that year, there should be illustrations to show you what I am talking about. IIRC the dual setup switches coils based on water temp, adds a few more degrees of timing once the car is warmed up. what kind of timing issues are you having?
The dizzy is maxed out in one direction and I can’t get the tdc mark to settle in at 7 degree at 800rpm it’s holding at 0 degrees. I’ve checked everything else mechanically. The seller made me think it was a Massachusetts purchased car so it would have the duel points. I’m getting my replacement dizzy gasket today so ill install tomorrow and fire it up. Fingers crossed it gives me more correction in the timing department. I'll look into what you mentioned, can't always believe what the sellers selling...thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts