ZCar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1976 280z, my first problem is I believe this car was in the Houston flood. The previous owner has put a few aftermarket items on the car, such as power windows, remote locks, and a stereo system. The car was offered for $9500, but I asked for $5500, If I came down to Houston that night(a 4-hour drive), I'd seen the pictures and some videos and I had determined that the interior was amazing, not perfect but for what it was pretty nice. He said the battery died and that's why the doors wouldn't open, due to the aftermarket locks. I took him at his word. Once I get the car home, that's when things fall apart. The passenger door won't open at all, the handle is broken and the internals is disconnected. The inside handle on the Driver's side was disconnected but the inside one wasn't. Anyway, my question is, what do I need to look for in a flood car, especially one with aftermarket electrics and a sketchy owner? I can't seem to find the internal parts for the doors to make a repair. The car has VERY little rust, a little flash rust from scuffed paint and bad seals, but that's it.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Plant Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive battery Hood

·
Registered
1983 280zx n/a 5-speed t-tops
57 Posts
Welcome. Great project! You will have a lot to do even though it appears to be a good shape starting point. One of your biggest challenges will be figuring out what was molested and what wasn't. Especially if this is your first Z project. There is a ton of information out there and most of it can be found by searching this forum or others. I'll link a few good starting places for resources and parts - others hopefully will add more.

For a flooded car I wouldn't hook up power to anything until I verified there wasn't still water/gunk in vital places. ECU, distributer, dash area guages, wire harness and all connections to engine, AFM and entire intake. I would change the oil and antifreeze, transmission and rear diff fluids. Pay attention to how they look when you drain them. Though the previous owner may have done that for sale; I wouldn't trust it.

In fact, unles you want to chance driving the car soon then disassembling the intake, exhaust, valve cover and pulling the head is the best way to see the condition of engine. Of course you'll wonder about the crank and main bearings.

Its up to you how much risk you're willing to take when reviving the engine but a little due diligence should be okay.

Links to follow:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts