ZCar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking to maybe place speakers in the doors, not sure about clearance with the door internals?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would suggest that there may be some flaw in a plan that places a very heavy and powerful electromagnet cheek by jowl with the 280's Old Tech computer on one side and several critical electromagnetic relays on the other.

Paranoid or Careful; you be the judge.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I would suggest that there may be some flaw in a plan that places a very heavy and powerful electromagnet cheek by jowl with the 280's Old Tech computer on one side and several critical electromagnetic relays on the other.

Paranoid or Careful; you be the judge.
The kick panel enclosures have been out for more than a year with no complaints registered by the people at classiczcars who have purchased them. You be the judge.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Does anyone have any info on aftermarket speaker placement, speakers in the doors?
Besides butchering the door panels as well as the door shell itself, putting the speakers in the door is the worst area you can put speakers for a multitude of reasons. You'll be popping the speakers every time you close the doors and getting them wet with water. Every time the car gets rained on, or you wash the car, water goes inside the doors from the top and runs out drain holes in the bottom by design. Water doesn't do speakers any good. The speakers will also be in the way of the window when you try to roll it down all the way, and when you get out of the car, you're feet barely miss the door panel now, just imagine how much less room you'll have with a speaker frame and/'or grill sticking out more. The A pillar doesn't cut it either. You have the ecu on the left side and the fuse block, trig box, and relays on the right side. That also takes away foot and/or leg room for the driver. In the B pillars where the stock location is puts the sound behind you but not aimed at you and the structure limits the size of speaker. Last I checked my ears are on my head like most people, and the stock speakers are about bicep to shoulder level with the seats in the way as well. Behind the seats on the rear deck riser pumps the sound right into the back of the seats. I've put speakers in every place possible on these cars and there is really only 1 option. Have you looked at the rear speaker panel on the market that fits into the back of the car and replaces the inside plastic panel? It was designed by a Boeing engineer, they have a bass port in them, they use 2- 6x9 speakers and produce some pretty good sound. I've got them in a few of my z cars. Be sure to use quality speakers though, I usually use the Infinity Reference or Kappa speakers. I use to make them but it took too much time for the money they generated so I quit selling them. Right now the only place is MSA. I've even put the rear speaker panels in z cars with a sub woofer if someone wants dominant bass. I can't post a picture for you even though I have lots because I don't have enough posts for the new management. I've been helping people on zcar.com since about 1998 and that's not good enough for them I guess. Go Figure A few thousand responses is all so I guess that should make me well past a senior member, perhaps a geriatric member would be more accurate. Z man of Washington

·
Registered
27 Posts
The smallest speakers sold by a local stereo shop fit the original speaker holes under the quarter window (1977 280Z). Bought a RetroSound stereo. Pretty happy with it, sounds okay. It has blue tooth and a mic that you can attach to the rear view mirror for phone.

Being a 40 year old car, I wouldn't go too crazy with a powerfully stereo without upgrading the wiring and alternator.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The smallest speakers sold by a local stereo shop fit the original speaker holes under the quarter window (1977 280Z). Bought a RetroSound stereo. Pretty happy with it, sounds okay. It has blue tooth and a mic that you can attach to the rear view mirror for phone.

Being a 40 year old car, I wouldn't go too crazy with a powerfully stereo without upgrading the wiring and alternator.

Not bad advice, however if a bigger stereo is properly installed the only stock wiring it uses is the blue lead for the radio/deck portion which is fine. The only way to hook up an amplifier is with all new wiring for the amplifier seeing as how there isn't any amp wiring in the car stock. Maybe that's what you mean by upgrading the wiring. As far as the alternator goes my 125 amp or 140 amp self contained alternator works great for these cars. They kick in at about 550 rpm, and produce 50-60 amps. Peak output is obtained about 2300 rpm which is over 1000 rpm sooner than the stock alts. They will eliminate any brown out effect that you may be experiencing on your z. My alts are new, not rebuilt. If you're interested contact me direct at [email protected] or call me at 360-668-2979. I sell the retro sound stereos as well. They are a pretty nice unit and you don't have to modify the stock console to get them to fit. Z man of Washington

1 - 12 of 12 Posts