ZCar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new member here and I'm sure I'll be here alot, bought my uncles 1976 280Z 2+2 that sat outside for some 30yrs not covered :/ quite a bit of rust, but have seen worse on Utube vids. big issue here is swapping a auto for a manual transmission, not sure if I'm hitting the extent of my capabilities here. Has anyone tried this? how did it go? is there a good substitution for this engine if we cant find an exact replacement. thanks

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
The first thing I'd suggest is doing a total evaluation of the rust situation. Make sure you have a realistic project before investing in a tranny swap. They're not that difficult, but you need a solid car to work with.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Once you ensure that the car is not rusted out and is solid, then go ahead with the other stuff. Swaps have been done before, many a times.
The best way to this is to find a parts car, at least a car in a salvage yard if you can, and grab all the manual stuff. The hydraulics system, the clutch pedal assembly, everything. You mentioned the engine... do you have some reason to believe that it is bad? Chances are it doesn't have problems.... best to see if you can get it to turn.
No replacement needed.

Trust me, if there is one thing that those old Nissan engineers got perfectly right.... it was the engine. They were built to last no doubt about it. (as long as they are maintained of course)

read up on the S30 section over at www.xenonzcar.com before you start doing anything.....

Bonny

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
Well said, @bonfire79 . Those L6 Datsun engines are extremely tough.

IIRC the swap requires pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder, and possibly a modification to the driveshaft. Have to make sure the splines match the transmission and the length is correct.

Not sure about whether the transmission mounting points are the same on manual and automatic.

I think this info is available online or at Nicoclub.com or classiczcars.com on making this swap. Searching should yield results.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You'll need all the clutch pieces: Master cylinder, Slave cylinder, Flywheel, Clutch Disk, Pressure plate, Hydraulic line, Clutch Pedal, pilot bushing, Reliable transmission. Also a safe place to jack the car up for some amount of time while you do the swap. And a ton of patience. Driveshaft bolts have so little room. You will have to get a plate off the crank or the flywheel wont fit. The early 5 speed will work well with your current differential. If you get the later one its too tall a gear and will make your car slow as molasses. That later 5 speed wants at least a 3.9 gearset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts