ZCar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, new to this forum.

After winter is over, I'm finally taking my dads 260z out of his garage. Its been sitting in there for about 35ish years. I have big plans that I would like to do to it. But first off I want to get able to drive. Should I do an complete engine rebuild, new tires? fuel tank clean brakes and all that jazz before I attempt to drive it. I'm just trying to come up with a list/ price point to getting started.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
-Cody

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
You'll get more info, but I wouldn't assume you need to rebuild the engine. I might dose each cylinder with penetrating oil to free up any stuck rings, let it sit for a while, change oil and filter.

I'd pull the radiator and have it cleaned out. DO NOT buy a new radiator - yours is old enough that it's not a lightweight aluminum piece; it's a high quality material that a good radiator shop can take it apart, clean it out and put it back together. I'm not sure what deposits you'll have in the engine's cooling system. Replace the thermostat too.

You'll need to do fluids front to back, drop the fuel tank and have it cleaned and sealed, and rebuild the brakes as well as clearing and flushing the brake system. The rear brake cylinders should be easy to replace or rebuild; with luck maybe the front calipers will still work, but I wouldn't assume anything without testing.

One simple hint on the rear brakes: only take one apart at a time. Then when you forget where the springs go during re-assembly, you'll have the other side to look at for guidance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Awesome was hoping I didn't have to take the engine apart right at the get go. Think I'm going to go to a disk brake system in the rear since I have to look at it anyways. Should a pump a bunch of stuff through the fuel lines to get any debris out if any

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,167 Posts
Ok Awesome was hoping I didn't have to take the engine apart right at the get go. Think I'm going to go to a disk brake system in the rear since I have to look at it anyways. Should a pump a bunch of stuff through the fuel lines to get any debris out if any
I'd put a change to rear discs way, way down the line. You have a lot to do first, and don't forget these braking systems were pretty good anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts

After winter is over, I'm finally taking my dads 260z out of his garage. Its been sitting in there for about 35ish years. I have big plans that I would like to do to it. But first off I want to get able to drive. Should I do an complete engine rebuild, new tires? fuel tank clean brakes and all that jazz before I attempt to drive it. I'm just trying to come up with a list/ price point to getting started.
-Cody

·
Registered
3 Posts

-Cody
I'm curious what was the reason it was stored? Ran badly? 260s had inferior carbs which really should be replaced with su s or something else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi codyarnold,
My suggestion is to get the 260z running before doing any upgrades, after the car is running then start doing the improvement to make it better. My 1973 240z was sitting for 38yrs, after I got it running, I start doing upgrade to improve the 240z.

I had my 1973 240z sitting in my garage from 1982-2020, needed a radiator and few parts to get it running. Before the 240z was parked the engine was running, I drained the engine oil and every 6 months I would pour some oil on the cam shaft and rockers arms and turn the engine by hand with the spark plugs out of the head. Continued doing this for the last 38 yrs without starting the engine. January of 2020, I decided to start working on the 240z to get it drivable, purchased parts I needed, engine oil, filters, spark plugs, dist. cap and rotor, point, trans fluid, diff. fluid, radiator, water hoses, new battery, etc.
I drained the gas tank back in 2003 and sat empty, the gas tank was in fair condition but I had a new tank which I installed in 2020. April of 2020, after all the fluids was replaced, brakes checked, put in 4 gal. of fuel and decided to try starting the engine for the first time since 1982, the 240z engine fired up after 2 turns of the key, checked for fuel and coolant leaks and let the engine warm up to 180' temp. I was very happy to have my 240z running and to drive down the road after 38 yrs. The engine, transmission, diff. is all original to the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm curious what was the reason it was stored? Ran badly? 260s had inferior carbs which really should be replaced with su s or something else?
Young family he wasn't driving it anymore so he decided to keep it instead of selling it. He put aftermarket carbs on it. had a custom camshalf, valvespring and headers, lightend flywheel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured I should probaly getting it running before I get over my head in other things I would like to do to it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts