ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I recently bought a 1972 Z and the main problem was that the car wouldn’t start after not driving it for a week. I charged the battery, but it was dead, so i bought a new one and turns out that battery died as well. I don’t know what is draining the battery, but when the car is off I hear a clicking noise inside of my car that sounds like a a hazard lights. I checked the hazard lights and tried to turn them off and on but it still was clicking so I don’t know if that clicking noise is a power source that is draining my battery or not.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The fuses with an X are highly unlikely to be the cause of your problem since they are only powered with the key in ACC or ON. The ones circled in blue are unlikely unless someone was randomly tapping a circuit for power.
Automotive lighting Gadget Communication Device Sports equipment Audio equipment

Another possible cause is a bad voltage regulator. That one is also easy to check. Unplug it. It would also tend to pull the battery down fast.
If you know how to use an ammeter, it would help to quantify the problem. You would also see a drop in the current draw when you find the offending circuit.
You don't say how long you have owned the car. Could a previous owner have installed an alarm system, remote door locks, stereo system or other device that sucks power when the car is off?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey guys so I recently bought a 1972 Z and the main problem was that the car wouldn’t start after not driving it for a week. I charged the battery, but it was dead, so i bought a new one and turns out that battery died as well. I don’t know what is draining the battery, but when the car is off I hear a clicking noise inside of my car that sounds like a a hazard lights. I checked the hazard lights and tried to turn them off and on but it still was clicking so I don’t know if that clicking noise is a power source that is draining my battery or not.
Sometimes phantom electrical drains are hard to find. In you effots to find the culpruit you may want to disconnect the battery when you are thru for the day and keep it from going dead.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not that it is the source of the drain, is it possible the clicking noise you're hearing is the clock ticking? The clock in my '72 still works and is noticeable in a quiet car. Just saying the noise and drain source may be unrelated. Later clocks are quartz and silent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.