ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 70 have a splashpan covering the front side under the motor. I thought they did, but people took them off. I found one from that I thought was from a 73 and reconditioned it. It looks greatr but will not fit my 70??? Can anyone help me. It looks like it fits all the mounting holes exept for the ones in front. The splash pan is about 3 inches away from fitting the front 3 holes.????

Help.

Rik

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Nope. The 73 may have been the first year to have one but I thought they didn't come until 74 1/2 260. I bought my 72 new and it or the previous models didn't have one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, how do you explain all the holes in the correct spots on the frame. The all would line up except for the front 3, which are there just too high. Was it an option that nobody wanted??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Explain it the same way that the 240 has extra wires in the front end for fog lights, but Nissan never made the 240 with fog lights along with the mystery indentation on the dash. They may have thought about, but never went through with it.

Mike

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rik, early '74s also had splash pans. I have an original pan off a 9/73. If you give me the measurements you're looking for I'll check the 9/73 to see if it will fit.

RLS30

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Or.....same thing with the electric fuel pump wiring starting on late 71's and 72's that wasn't used, or the footwell courtesy light wiring that wasn't used, and other bolt holes around the body that weren't used on US models. Perhaps some of these things were on JDM or European/British, or Canadian market vehicles, or elsewhere in the world, but not on US spec vehicles. Why? I don't know. But the fact remains that they didn't come with a splash pan. Perhaps you can modify the holes or mounts on the one you have, or have one custom made.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
John H 240 has it!

The Z came with a splash pan from the start of the production run in 1969. The part number was 74810-E4100 (Board Assy, Splash), as were Fog Lights a Factory installed Option (Part Number 26150-E4100 right, and 26155-E4100 left).
Among other goodies not allowed into the united states:
Factory Fan Shroud that bolts to the radiator,Fiberglass hood, Fiberglass Tailgate (rear hatch), Perplex Quarter Windows, Four- Point Harness, Passenger Footwell Footbar, Radio Delete Option, Clock Delete Option, Carpet Delete Option (that model came with no jute mats, just the tar mats and some plastic mats instead of carpet!)

Why? Profit and cost. They cut a lot of things off the car like the Fan Shroud, Splash Pan, etc to keep the cost down and maximize profit per unit sold in the USA. Other items, like the four point harness and fiberglass/perplex parts were just never going to happen either through DOT madates or "perceived" impacts like a company selling a race-ready car to...OH GAWD! NORMAL PEOPLE!!!!
The world is a wonderful place, and I must say, automobiles you can buy OUTSIDE the USA are invariably much BETTER than those you can buy inside the USA!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.