ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is inheriting her father’s 1970 240 (bought in Japan in 69, but has a 4 speed).

It’s been sitting for some time. Someone runs it about every three or four weeks, but not enough.

I spent a few days at her parents house earlier this week and played with it. Added some fuel stabilizer (StaBil) and ran it. It had serious misfires, etc., but once warmed up (30-45 minutes…), it would respond as expected in all gears (no miss or lag). Some of this was me figuring out the choke. I’m used to pulling the choke to start, but by the time I back out of the driveway, it’s back to warm position. Much cooler weather this time.

Parked it, and ran it the next day. Rough again for about 20 minutes (suspect there is condensate in the tank). Warmed up better and ran well up and down Highway 90.

Got it home and parked it. Tried to restart 3 minutes later, and it sounded like the starter was dragging (slow crank), then the solenoid click. New battery, FWTW. Searched numerous forums and read about cooking the gas in the fuel lines due to exhaust proximity, as well as numerous common electrical issues.

Spent an hour reading, then decided to try to crank it again. Cranked immediately and better than any time prior.

What would cause this? Is the gas temp an issue? If so, is there a fix? Starter? There are some existing electrical issues (most gauges work, but no tach, fabs, etc.).

The first day, I gave it a bath, so I shut it off while I washed it. Cranked right back up after the wash…. After running so well the second day, not restarting immediately threw me for a loop.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Two issues:
1 Vapor lock, car turns over and wont start. Had this a few times on my 280 not my 240.
2 Starter or solenoid just get click click click. I replaced the ignition switch, key ignition switch, all new cables and a battery abd I get a click every once in a while.
FYI disconnect the battery when moving wires around the starter.

· Registered
75 S30 2+2 Chevy 350
160 Posts
It sounds like multiple issues which can be very confusing. I would start with checking all of the ground wire connections on the vehicle. Replace old and add new. Make sure you have good bare metal connections to the engine / transmission and body. Check / replace wires to starter. Especially the fat wire from battery to starter. If it's original , it's internally corroded. Check and clean all of the fuse clips on the fuse box. Corrosion will be there .

· Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,769 Posts
I had a tired mech guel pump that did this once.
If no spark, coil ? points? Dist cap? Check plug wire from dist to coil.
Take a plug out check spark. Is fuel filter full of fuel? Is it dry?
How about helping us by providing a bit more explanation...and not making multiple too-short comments?

You can edit your posts by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner of each post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts