ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure the alternator on my 83zxt should not be puting out this much voltage. It starts out at 14.4 and gradually climbs. It would go above 18 volts, but I just bought a new battery and don't wanna pump any more voltage into it.

Should it be getting this high? Time for yet another alternator?

Thanks,
Josh 83zxt

·
Registered
313 Posts
Voltage Regulator

I'd say your voltage regulator is bad. I've had it happen. I think your VR is integrated with the altenator. You might be able to just replace it though... You should also have a warranty on the alternator right?

Brett

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Re: Voltage Regulator

Don't keep reving the engine with a faulty voltage regulator, you'll blow electrical things! It happened to me on my '71. Replace the alternator because it has a built-in regulator.

·
Registered
142 Posts
could be a bad battery ,but run with the lights on and ac blower on all the time or youll burn out the wires in the car ,take it to sears they'll test for free in the car

·
Premium Member
40,992 Posts
Poof, and the smoke gets out...

Once the smoke gets out of any electrical component, you can never get it back in, and it's ruint!
Seriously, that is the opposite of what happened to mine---too much voltage will cook your battery.
My brand-new regulator on the 260 puts 15v max. 13.8 at 1000 rpm.

BUT, make sure the grounds and connections are tight regarding the alternator. If the internal regulator is getting a low voltage signal from it's sensing point, it will put out voltage until it senses 13.8-14.7vdc at the sensing point.
More than likley the reg is shot, but do a quick check to verify.

Gearhead blew his alternator, and the decreased load on his engine caused the cylinder pressures to rise and blow his head gasket (private joke...)
What goes, comes back...

·
Premium Member
40,992 Posts
mooo-aaaah! ssssSSSSS!

POP! goes the gasket! heh heh...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.