ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would using a 160 degree thermostat help in taking care of detonation on the turbo motors? A cooler motor is a stronger motor? I know I have seen performance chips for other cars (mainly V8's) that include a 160 degree thermostat.
Seems like the cooler the motor stayed the more boost you could run safely. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that would be a little cold, while it would give you the increase you are looking for, it would cause a little slop in the engine, the pistions, bearings and other parts inside the engine where designed for 192 degrees if memory serves, and thats quite a temp drop. Could cause some pre-mature engine wear, this is only what I was told and have read, if someone knows differently, please let me know. But again my knowledge tells me that all the tollerances, and internal parts where designed to expand and seal at the factory set temperature. I think an intercooler would be a better investment if you are looking for more boost, it will cool the air, withount overcooling the engine.

Scott Milella

Dave83ZXT wrote:
-------------------------------
Would using a 160 degree thermostat help in taking care of detonation on the turbo motors? A cooler motor is a stronger motor? I know I have seen performance chips for other cars (mainly V8's) that include a 160 degree thermostat.
Seems like the cooler the motor stayed the more boost you could run safely. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My book says available thermostats for my 76 280 n/a are 170, 180 and 190 degree...depending on how the ambient temp is...so would assume a 170 degree thermostat allows engine components to operate at correct expansion...my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, at least it is good for your engine. I;ve got an 83' non turbo, run a 160degree, and my car runs wayyyy cooler and stronger. I put it in because I just did'nt beleive that my guage should be pointed in the middle.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>RE: 160 degree thermostat, good for turbo?</b>

hey dave want to buy a cust made intercooler and HKS
boost controler to give your z 50 extr horse-513-972-5634

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.