ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all gung ho about this conversion and I had read people doing this with the 15" turbo rims 300zx rotors and 88 4runner calipers. Then I came across the following at http://240z.jeromio.com/sheet.html. Will these fit or should I buy 16s?

This is my standard post for this conversion
300ZX 1984 GL 10.79 inch in diameter 4 bolt rotor.

240Z Front Brake Conversion

What you need (price in Canadian $)
1. Toyota 4 Runner 4 X 4 V6 1988 calipers. $145.00 each
2. Brake pads $ 75.00
3. Nissan 300ZX GL 1984 rotors. They should be 4 bolt & 10.79 in diameter. Mine were ordered cross-drilled & cadmium plated. $ 156.00 each
4. Spacers machined out of aluminum. $ 70.00 each
5. Keep the original hub from the Z. Verify the bearings & replace if needed.
6. New longer bolts (8) to replace the existing ones. You will see that the rotor/spacer/hub assembly requires longer bolts. About 40mm long.
7. A set of stainless steel braided brake hose to replace the rubber ones. They go between the strut & rail
8. New steel brake hose to replace the one that go from the caliper to the strut. Some bending will be required to make them fit.

I took my strut unit with the caliper & rotor to my machine shop for exact measurement, I think this was the best way to get a precise fit.
I removed the back dust plate from the strut to facilitate the installation of the caliper.
Be sure that your wheels will fit. I wanted to use 280ZX turbo "snowflake" wheels but they did not fit being that the caliper sticks out .5 inch further than the hub. The "snowflake" wheels have a flat design when you look at them from the inside.
Total weight of the strut unit (coil/shock) with the rotor/calipers/spacer/pads, about 55 pounds.

Good luck

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Use the 280ZX caliper

I have heard of 15" wheel fit issues with the Toyota 4 pot and the 300ZX rotors. I would trust Jeromio on this one and not use a wheel with a flat internal face. That one of the reasons I went with a 280ZX caliper instead of the Toyota - it doesn't stick out past the hub as much, and I fit my 6-spoke 14" wheels over it.

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Use the 280ZX caliper

I know Bryan Little has toyota calipers and 15" snowflakes, will they fit if you retain the stock rotors? Or maybe pic 280zx rotors? How do you like the 280zx calipers? do they have good stopping power?

Thanks

· Registered
1,784 Posts

There are a couple of links out there for the 280ZX caliper conversion - if I get time, I'll try to get them and post.

This conversion is really only good if you go to a vented '84 300ZX rotor. You need to take 1/4" off the diameter (1/8" off the radius) of the rotor. For 280Z, you need to convert to the 240Z hub (bearings, seals same as 280Z). Then drill out the threads on the strut, because the 280ZX caliper is threaded. You then can center the caliper over the rotor with properly clearanced washers, instead of having a custom hat spacer made.

I believe the stopping power is just as good as the Toyota 4-pot because the pad area is roughly equal and the caliper mounting position is nearly the same. The advantages are better wheel clearance and less unsprung weight.

· Registered
53 Posts

You must understand that they are not simple flat spacers but are machined in a tapered fashion so they won't move. The rotor sits perfectly centered & aligned with the studs holes. That's why I took all the pieces to the machine shop for measurements & a perfect fit.

I'll post the thickness info later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.