ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night @ midnight... i was driving the Z back from a wrestling show i was in with my buddy joey... Well we got to a street (straight away) that had no life, car, NOTHING... so i decided that it was time to "UNLEASH THE BEAST" since i've really only had it up to around 100mph... Well i was in 5th gear already driving then i put the peadal all the way to the floor... I reached 130 when the car topped out, which isn't normal on a stage III TT... as i slowed down after the hesitation to reach further speed, the car stared sputtering and bogging down... i drove it back going REALLY slow... i found out this morning that i desimated the **** out of 2 spark plugs... Well luckly i went and put an order in since the plugs were under warranty... The Z should hopefully be fine once i put the new plugs in...

Any reason as to why this happened? The plugs are PFR5b-11b NGK

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Explain 'desimated'? If the tip of the plug is melted/missing I would highly suggest a compression test as I see low compression in your future. Post a pic of the plugs if you can.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plugs were melted i think... I pulled all the plugs... the first and second one were the plugs that melted... the other ones were all fine, but other than that, the other plugs were fine.

I had to give the busted plugs to the guy at the adv. store

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Plugs don't just melt without other destruction, typically either a holed piston or burnt exhaust valves. If the egt's were high enough to melt the plugs other things are in jeopardy as well. You would know if you had holed pistons as there would be mass amounts of smoke and oil out the exhaust, the only way to determine burnt valves is a compression test.

This is typically from sustained high boost runs and/or misadjusted timing. If you were running over 15 psi on stock turbos/injectors, there's your answer.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Tim

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
could this be the issue with an NA..if an NA guy had too cold of plugs would he lose top end power? Because I can't seem to pass 120, not that I speed anymore.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well my plugs are under warranty... I'll see if i can get the PFR6b-11b's in a few weeks

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
plugs under warranty? Your thought process is all wrong here. Forget the plugs, follow the advise of Tim and do a compression test!

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
My opinion on this is you detonated the **** out of the motor with the plugs because they were to hot. You run into this alot when running nitrous on to hot of a plug but totally melting them isnt normal check everything out before you can any further.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
130mph and then BOOM no bank account .....

DO the compression test as suggested by Mr. Silvertwin and get back with the results.....Plugs are not the reason they are the symptom of some serious problems.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alrighty if everyone is reccommending that i do a compression test then i'll get one done... However when the incident happend, the Oil compression and the engine temp. stayed the same, great oil pressure and engine temp. stayed in the middle where it needs to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.