ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving my computer school to go home, I saw a kid parked in the parking lot across from the one I was parked in get into a 2-tone black and gold 280ZX.

I told dad about it and he asked if it was a turbo or not, I told him it didn't have the swastica wheels and the turbo emblems/words written on the sides, and he told me that if its not a turbo than it was a Z 10th anniversary 280ZX.

I looked it up, and it seems like the 10th ann. ones have gold emblems on the front sides that say "10th", and those "malteese cross" shaped rims but I didn't see any such emblem on this car, and it had snowflakes with the inset part being painted the same gold as the car.

Can anyone confirm this? or have a good picture of a 10th anniversary Z?

I am curious about it, and I think its cool that there are 4 kids at my school who drive old Zs, I got my 76, and theres also a 77, a later 80s 300ZX, and this recently discovered 280ZX, all of us Z fans. woo

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The "snowflake" wheels, if they're original Z wheels, were only offered on the '81 Turbo. However, many cars have had the wheels switched around on these cars over the last 25 years.

Check out this link for pics of the original 10th Anniversary 280ZX:

<http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=1943&alph=ALL&dec=ALL>

·
Registered
558 Posts
Living in Oz, I doubt there's more than 1 or 2 ever made it here... though I'd like to paint my car with either the gold/black or red/black colour scheme... Looks pretty good.

I imagine with 25 years, the emblems, only being decals, could have come off too? Especially given that not everyone would baby their car, or appreciate the "importance" of the anniversary model.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really?

Just about every 280ZX I have ever seen has snowflake wheels on it.

All the turbo ZXs I have seen however, have the "swastica" wheels.

Or were swasticas offered on a different year turbo? At any rate, those seem to be the fan favorite stock rims. heck, my brothers 510 has the swasticas on it with Z centercaps too.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
"a 2-tone black and gold 280ZX"

The "10th" was just a marketing ploy, nothing special. After 26 years who kows how these cars were re-paited and what wheels were swapped for what reason.

Only way to verify it would be the sales material with a prited VIN number on the receipt. AFAIK even the factory has no idea what the VIN's were on these things with cheezy stickers stuck on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The best way to find out if it is a 10th Anniversary is to see if it has the dash plaque that should be just in front of the shifter. The wheels can always be changed, like the 17in wheele that are waiting to be bolted on my 10th anniv.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
And those simple engraved plaques are easier to create than the paint job...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.