ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my 120k service at about 5am this morning. I don't think thats to bad of time considering that's the first time I've ever worked on a Z engine. And let me tell you it is awesome, the stumbling hesitation it had is completely gone. And I don't know if it is from the underdrive pulley I put on but it seems to rev much faster. All the engine noise from the bad idlers is gone, I even thought it stalled at a light cause it runs so smooth and quiet now! I was a bit nervous at first considering my experiance with Z's but once I got into it I realized it just looks intimidating, the job itself is pretty straight foward and real easy to do, I'm very happy I chose to do it myself instead of taking it somewhere.

Also found a new little trick, I used some of the info from the TT.net write up but one thing they said to do was to wrap the old belt all around from point A to point B to lock the cam gears so you can get them off......what a PITA that was to try considering my idler was broke and they used that alot to hold the belt. Well after getting frustrated with it I sat back and noticed something. With the engine at TDC every cam gear has a bolt showing behind it for the metal back plate that you have to remove to get the the cam seals. Well instead of wrapping the belt all you have to do is stick a 10mm deepwell socket and extension through the gear onto the bolt and hold it, the gears turn just a hair then lock against the socket. I found that much easier then trying to wrap that **** belt all over the place.

Well I just wanted to let everyone know how easy it was to do and to say thanks to everyone who answered my questions the last couple of days before I started the job. You guys are great and really know your stuff! Well off to wash the car now, gotta make it loook as good as it runs.

Oh yeah one more thing........HAPPY NEW YEAR!

·
Registered
152 Posts
congrats, i have to do mine soon as well, i dont know when mine was done but i do know it happened sometime before i bought it. im @ 107k now, i plan on doing it before 110k just to be safe. course i have a backup vehicle and a garage to work on it in. whered you get your kit? coz?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JTMTT, Yeah I got it from Coz. The 120 kit with the underdrive pulley upgrade. I think it came out to $720 with overnight shipping and the 5% discount he's got going right now.

If you're gonna do it now would be a pretty good time to with the 5% off everything. I didnt think it would save that much but it almost paid for the shipping so I was happy.

And if you follow the TT.net write up remember what I said about using the backing plate bolts instead of the belt wrap for locking the pulleys, just seemed to work a little easier for me but you may have better luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
did you have to remove anything from the car? i mean like the front bumper? i too have not done anything to my z32, i have a fairly decent mechanical background but i have yet to put any of it to use on the Z. i will remember the bolt thing, i usually try to lock pulleys with bolts and not belts, only thing that im scared of is screwing the timing up. $720 seems a little pricey tho, ive heard mixed reviews on the UD pulley, is it worth the extra cost on the kit for the UD pulley, what kind of realistic gains have you noticed?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No didn't have to remove anything other then the radiator but you have to do that for everything. As far as power gains it's just like a lightened flywheel, you gain a few horse but lose a bit of torq. If you don't have the extra cash don't worry you really ain't missin anything. I mostly got it cause I can put it on the TT when I do the swap.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
When I installed my UD pulley it increased my low-end torque a little bit. I believe that is one of the major selling points of the UD pulley.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well whatever difference it made in mine is small but then again even though it's running smoother I still havent put a timing light on it so it could just be a bit off. but it deffinately feels like I have to give it a bit more gas to get moving and the top end is where it really comes alive. Everyone is gonna have different results cause every car is different in one way or another. The only things done to mine are catbacks, decent filters (not even a pop charger) and now the pulley. So don't take my word for it, look up a few more opinions....there is a dyno run on TT.net for the pulleys that shows a good increase in HP and torq but that was a TT so that's a whole new ballgame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.