ZCar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1983 280ZX coupe
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 83 280zx with the stock L6 engine and manual transmission. My question is for anyone that has installed headers. The one I bought has two O2 sensor bungs welded to it, 1 in the #3 cylinder tube (about 6" from the head) and the other down in the collector (after where all 6 tubes are connected). Should I use the stock 1 wire O2 sensor in either location or the new MSD 2330 3 wire O2 sensor I have in the collector? If the 3 wire, where do I connect the hot O2 sensor heater wire?

· Registered
430 Posts
The wire for the O2 sensor is not "hot". The O2 sensor produces the voltage and sends it to the ECU. On the 3 wire O2 sensor the extra 2 wires are for the O2 sensor heater. The heaters were installed on the O2 sensors to heat them up faster to get them to produce the needed voltage for the ECU. The O2 sensor needs to be around 600° for it to produce the correct voltage. I would use your stock 1 wire in the collector. If you hook up the 3 wire wrong, you may damage it.

· Registered
1983 280ZX coupe
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry I asked this question in 2005 and Tony D already gave me part of the answer. Now that I'm going to do it after 7 years, should I put it in the 1 header pipe or the collector and do I even need a 3 wire.

· Registered
430 Posts
collector................1 wire. The 3 wire is probably a wide band and your ECU may get confused by it. Use a 1 wire narrow band if you are using it for the ECU. If you install a Air/Fuel ratio guage u can use the 3 wire wide band for it for tuning purposes but your stock ECU will need the narrow band.

· Registered
1983 280ZX coupe
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out from someone selling an MSD 2330 oxygen sensor on Ebay it is wideband. Tony D says the 87 300zx heated oxygen sensor is narrowband and will work, so I'm going with that one instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts