ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...first off I'm in no way bashing our local Z shop as they have always been good to me but I'm a little shocked at the price they quoted me for replacing my turbo. First off I Have an 83 280zx turbo and my turbo needs to be replaced. I already have a good turbo to replace it with so I'm supplying the turbo. All I needed was a new oil line and for them to swap out the turbo...basically I just need their labor. Is their quote reasonable? Personally I think it's highway robbery,,,and I figured since I've done all the work on my Z since I've had it (with the help of you guys) I don't see why I couldn't swap it out my self. Does any one know if there is a write up on this topic any where on the net? Thanks.

ratedZ

·
Registered
511 Posts
Re: $1,200 to install a stock turbo? Is the right.

Z-Docs in Tampa, FL charged me 800.00.

The day after I agreed to sell my 83ZXT, the guy was coming to FL to pick it up.
I took it out one last time and it had zero boost.

When Z-Docs returned the car to me I had a hard time parting with it.
It was better than new.

·
Registered
745 Posts

Yes, you can replace the turbo yourself it's not that hard. It's very time consuming and just a pain in the rear to do the first time. It get's easier each time you do it. I would recomend you set aside plenty of time and get out your favorite can(s) of rust penatrant. You can never have to much WD-40 or what ever you like to use. I would spray every bolt you can get to now and once a day till you do the project. The last thing you want is a broken stud or something like that. That would take it from a half day job to much more depending on how you fixed what you broke. I usally take about a half day or so to do the job on my own car. But, I'm real slow and take my time to look around at things and I never seem to just stay on one task at a time. There always something to be modified. I would get all the parts you need and jack up the car and take a good look around and judge for yourself to see if you are up for the job. $1200 is alot of money that could proubly go to better things. Bigger Turbo, Intercooler, Boost controller, Drag Radials, New Seats, and of course theres things like the wife and kids if you have those.
E-mail me if you have any questions or proublems and I'll see if I can help.

Cody 82 ZXT

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

That is a lot of $$. But the shop may know what they are getting into, as the nuts are usually frozen, both on the down tube and the manifold. In addition, the manifold nuts are really hard to get to if you leave on the intake manifold - I had to make a custom 17mm tool in order to turn on of the lower nuts.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts

Hey Rated, I will do it for 300.00 sound good? No you can do the job yourself. I can give you all the info step by step to do it if you like. The only thing that may be a consideration is the O2 sensor, and the four bolts on the down pipe. but other then that it is not that hard. Hey how did the wire harness go?

·
Registered
274 Posts

in '95 I was chaged $460 to replace mine. $1200 is too steep. Do it yourself.

I didn't have a garage at the time or I would have done it one weekend - I like to take my time and get distracted by ... girls, beer, sports, etc...:)

·
Registered
178 Posts

How's it going man? Well I'll be honest with you I don't know much about changing turbos or anything, but I just had my engine rebuilt for $1000 and I am just being able to go over 70mph(breaking it in) and it's running awsome. Just to level with you on the price cause that seems to be pretty steep. I say if you have the time and the info, do it yourself, besides there's nothing better than working on your own car, getting to know it better while your at it, and seeing a good end result when you're done.
Good luck, erick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.