ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 240's #4 cylinder has no compression at all. I put some oil in and it was still at 0, so it has to be the valves. Explains the ultra crappy gas mileage. I knew the engine was a little bit screwed when I bought it so I got the car cheap. Is it an easy fix to repace a valve? Should I get it repaired or just buy another head and slap it on? I think it is an e31...

Fraga

G

·
Burned valve.

I'd put my money on a burnt valve. Not a big deal just take the head to an engine shop and have the head redone. The problem you might want to look into is why the valve burned. If you have leaking carbs that cause a lean mixture you will just burn the next head too. This happened on MGB's a lot as the carbs would leak around the shaft and suck air resulting in a lean mixture. Hope this helps. Good luck. John.

· Registered
201 Posts
Re: Burned valve.

My original 240 engine had low compression on three cylinders when I bought it. The valves had never been adjusted! I adjusted them and they all came up to normal. Definitely try that first. Good luck; Alan.

· Registered
70 Posts
If the motor got hot ever The valve seat could have fallen
out. I would take off the valve cover and see if that intake valve is stuck down a little. If not, it probably has a burned valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.