ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 7/75 280Z 2+2. I had a turbo installed in '78. There was a problem with performance. It would accelerate to approx. 110 mph, then drop down to about 90mph as long as it was in the boost range on my gauge. A mechanic suggested to install a potientiometer(0-5000ohm) to fool the air flow meter in to staying open while the turbo is in "boost". Supposedly the flow meter wouldn't allow a large amount of air to flow in unless this was installed. Does this sound like a wild story or what?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You've waited 20 years to ask this question!! You must have been on the cutting edge to put a turbo on a 3 year old car back in '78. The airmeter is controlled totally by airflow. If the motor is pulling the air, it will hold the door open indefinitely. I don't know what the potentiometer is for. Maybe meant to be used as a fuel enrichment tool? What exactly is the setup on your car? If it's really that old it's probably just the fact that your airflowmeter and throttle body are too smal for a turbocharged car. I can't believe I read those dates right. Please repost.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Byron,
I am not familiar with your car but with a Toyota (also use Air Flow Meter) you can adjust the Meter by turning a crew inside( you will have to break that factory seal) and you have to do this on the fly or the best way is on a dyno. I dont know anything about that Potientiometer that your trusty mechanic is talking about. I think you should contact Jim Woft Tech. at 619-442-0680, they will advice you on what to do. Good luck
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: I've heard of the pot. My car has one.

I haven't chased it to see where it terminates, but I do not think it was done in a typical way. The pot fools the EFI into richening the mixture so the car (which was designed to run too lean at higher RPMs) will continue to pull hard at the top end. The problem with this theory is that the mixture will always be rich and that has disadvantages, too. The only way to avoid this is to turn the knob when you get to the desired rpm. That sucks as I am speaking from experience. It's hard to steer, shift and beat the other guy with one hand. My suggestion would be a Rising Rate Fuel Regulator. My car has the pot tied into the fuse panel and I want to take it out. I'm going to the Z-Barn to see if it can be safely done at home. My car has two 15 amp fuses that have had one side cut away to expose the terminal in it and wires have been soldered onto that side and then it goes on under the dash to the kick panel on my side. The Z-Barn offers a service to install a 200 to 250 ohm resistor on a safe location of your ECU that avoids knobs wires and unsafe operation of your car. Roger knows these cars well and is very trustworthy. Good luck and avoid the pot- get a bell regulator or something similar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.