My Crazy Journey Idea - Page 2 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
What is 'insane' about this again?

I drove my S30 over 18,000 miles in three weeks on at least three separate occasions with an 8, 9, and 10 year old acting as navigator on coast-to-coast quests including invading Canada...all while the navigator was holding a paperback book of "Roadside Americana" meaning, if he wanted to go see it along the way from "Point A to Point B" and it was less than 400 miles one-way out of the way...we went to see it.

Carhenge.

Cadillac Ranch.

World Largest Ball of Twine (it was closed...)

Mt Rushmore / Crazy Horse (where we waited until the goddamned FOG cleared...you don't drive to Mt. Rushmore to NOT see the damned thing!)

On the above note, I would not wish North Dakota or Nebraska on anybody...go through South Dakota...though from the second river in Minnesota to the tree near the Badlands you can bungee your steering wheel and sleep with the hammer down it's damnable boring with the speed limits ridiculously imposed by The Central Scrutinizer...

The entire north shore of Lake Superior.

etc.

Again, what was "insane" about this again, once I get over that claim...I can attend to the other particulars. I just gotta get my head wrapped around the "insane part"....

For all the Paranoid Petes out there terrified about mechanical breakdowns...I pray you are not so inclined or it will severely impact your planning almost to the point of not taking it. You have overprovisioned spares, worry about 'type specific' stuff that can't be replaced. EVERYTHING ELSE is improvised. My first trip I had the back of the car packed with spares. The second time it was all on a Harbor Freight Trailer. The third time that trailer was more for what I picked up along the way and didn't want to leave behind....and a huge Coleman packed with ice, drinks, and fresh fruit to keep me and my navigator stocked in our playmate up front. There's only so much you can consume before you either have to empty yourself or FILL the car. Your provisions are more along the lines of what I'd take for below:

Though here is a project you might want to consider: Containerize a 240Z that is Semi-Rally prepped for poor roads and land in the port of Singapore. From there, go on a route to follow the Burma-Thai Death Railway, then turn left and make it across China to Shanghai where you trans-ship again to Shimonoseiki and do a Japan trip, followed by a recontainerization and shipment back stateside to the port of Los Angeles/SanPedro.

Shipping costs there and back are under $3,000.

You are on your own getting customs clearances, driving clearances, permits, etc...

Driving around the USA? That's like spinning doughnuts in your back yard! PFFFT! Lets go on a REAL ADVENTURE! Lhasa is nearby and turning RIGHT is just as easy as turning LEFT in Rangoon, but THAT coast is a lot further away!

"Insane?"

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.

Last edited by Tony D; 02-24-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

FYI, my average doing 80mph on the interstates with a $125 Police Lien Sale bought 260Z was around 22-24mpg. In towns and back roads that went to 17mpg. in Wisconsin, never exceeding 65 it was 27mpg. I could not break into the teens unless I cracked triple digits on the interstate.

And that was towing a trailer in the last two trips! The EFI in that car made the mileage more consistent...right there at 22mpg.

That included the 26 passes down SanAntonio Dragway and all passes at the Auto-X during that ZCON event.

Oil was less than a quart in 3,300 miles on the interstate, and two quarts in that same period passing logging trucks in 3rd gear at 90mph on and off the throttle constantly and doing Motorsports events in Canada and it's itty bitty back roads skirting the Great Lakes.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

If you plan to burden yourself with a load of spares, I HIGHLY recommend you purchase the Harbor Freight Trailer with the 12" wheels, and carry a couple spares under it, and put what you want in tool boxes bolted to it on top. Keep the car clean. Provision in there a heavy 80 Proof Chain and security lock so you can unhook your trailer and chain it to the hotel lightpost...and go drive your car. Putting all that crap IN the car SUCKS...the car can't handle the extra weight...period. It changes the driving experience. Towing the mentioned trailer is so effortless with an L28 and a 3.90 you forget it's back there, leading to the next comments:

The HF Trailer tracks well during emergency lane avoidance maneuvers at 75mph, and remains securely attached to a 2" ball when flying behind the car at a 38 to 45 degree angle to the cars plane of operation (I didn't act prudently on some stretches of non-paved sections of the trip...)

If you have a wife, leave her behind. At least on the first trip.
If you have a son, bring him along if below the age of 13--they don't know everything yet at that point. Hanging with dad is still cool then.

I explained to my son how 'schedules' go, and when it's he and I in the car, we make our schedule and there is no pressure.
My wife joined us on the last trip, after we were in SanAntonio. She was with us one evening there, and the next morning had a list of things we needed to accomplish in the coming day. Sights to see, times, a phucking schedule like I got every phucking day at phucking work. It irritated me. That was mitigated an hour into the first day's drive when my then 10 year old...REMEMBERING what I'd told him three years earlier about 'schedules' leans over in the front seat and says "Dad, I love mom. You were right, she made a big schedule for us...will we be able to go to teh place I wanted to visit? (He sat silently contemplating an answer not given then...) You know what, dad? I like our vacations better!"

Last edited by Tony D; 02-24-2015 at 01:16 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
I hope you had a windshield on those runaway trips; the rushing wind would have brushed your hair permanently backward from your forehead.....................................ohh, wait.......

zippityzda
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Tony for the advice. I don't plan to overload with spares. It'll probably just be a small box in the passenger footwell with some extra belts sparkplugs and such. I don't really plan on bringing the entirety of my workshop with me. I'll address everything about the car and go over it with a fine toothed comb so that it's in perfect mechanical condition. But that won't happen till I find said car. Full sized spare will be carried rally style, so bungied to the center of the rear deck. Other than that, it'll be a spare gas can, two small coolers, a duffle bag of clothes and a backpack full of goodies. As of right now, it's looking like this is going to be a solo trip. So if need be, I'll simulate a passenger with some stuff to balance it out. I have entertained the idea multiple times of finding a few Kobe Seiko rally wheels, throwing on some Pirelli rally tires and prepping for a longhaul. There are several roads in Europe I think a Z car has never been but would love to go to. The same can be said for China and Japan. The reason why that isn't going to happen anytime soon is because rally parts are all custom fabbed (so no solid price on those) and I've never even bothered with a passport. Although that will change because I want to do a separate trip to Alaska, and I don't want the mounties to stop me at the border. I'm going to prepare for a journey, not prepare to be prepared.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Buy a book by William Least-Heat Moon called "Blue Highways". He did what your'e doing but with a Ford Van back in the 70s, and the book is a great read. he stayed on secondary roads the whole way.

If you go with a 240Z, assuming you can find one, make sure the weather seals on the hatch are fresh, else the exhaust fumes will probably kill you before you make it half way. This trip in any vintage Z up through a Z31 would be a hoot.

Start searching Arizona / Nevada / California for your car. East coast examples will either be ridiculously expensive for a fully restored car, or rusted badly. There's a couple 240s in my local Phoenix Craigslist right now...one looks real nice.

1985 300ZX
1998 Ridiculously built solid axle 4x4 Frontier
2012 Murano LE AWD
2007 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4
2008 Boulevard C90T
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Buy a book by William Least-Heat Moon called "Blue Highways". He did what your'e doing but with a Ford Van back in the 70s, and the book is a great read. he stayed on secondary roads the whole way.

If you go with a 240Z, assuming you can find one, make sure the weather seals on the hatch are fresh, else the exhaust fumes will probably kill you before you make it half way. This trip in any vintage Z up through a Z31 would be a hoot.

Start searching Arizona / Nevada / California for your car. East coast examples will either be ridiculously expensive for a fully restored car, or rusted badly. There's a couple 240s in my local Phoenix Craigslist right now...one looks real nice.
Thanks for the advice! I'll pick up that book as well as a copy of On The Road by Jack Kerouac, as that's another one that's been recommended to me. And if I can find a 240z I'll be sure to get a MSA complete weatherstrip kit to make sure that I don't die. I'll start digging through Phoenix Craigslist right now, because that's what I've been doing all day. Although I've mostly found junkers with no title and a bunch of 280zx's. So I might have to follow the advice that Bonfire originally offered up. Not really my dream car because it's the starting point of where the Z turned from a small, light sports-car into a grand touring car. I'm currently in a transition period of trying to find a job and an apartment for me and my cat. Lately I've been driving the 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport that my Aunt and Uncle are loaning to me because I fixed it up. Not the most rewarding or enjoyable thing to drive but it works.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
'On The Road' is a good read too, as is the sequel 'Desolation Angels'. Both set in a much earlier time.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This is a bit off topic, but I figured it would make Tony D happy. Would you like to see a rally themed car boogie around the US with some Pirelli Scorpion Rally 205/65R15 tyres strapped to a set of Enkei Classic Comp wheels and minimalist interior? Because that's what I always wanted to build, I just never thought it'd be all that practical for picking up the fine women of today's day and age. Hahaha, but all joking aside, I'd love to do a mild road/rally setup and jet around on dirt roads. I think it'd look rather majestic taking Diamond Creek Road into the Grand Canyon. But there I go with the wanderlust again. It'd be a really fun idea, one that I wouldn't pass up.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:11 PM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrifeWolfe View Post
Although I've mostly found junkers with no title and a bunch of 280zx's. So I might have to follow the advice that Bonfire originally offered up. Not really my dream car because it's the starting point of where the Z turned from a small, light sports-car into a grand touring car.
i'm telling you man you can't go wrong with a good 280zx for a long drive. now, i love the 240 and it's younger sisters the 60 and the 80, but you will feel a great difference in the drivablility and comfort on highway driving between the two cars. of course the zx is slower and heavier, but just put that girl in 5th, hit the cruise and go! and you shant be dissapointed. i'm not saying you should avoid a 240z, just saying for drivability and comfort, you would probably be more comfortable in the latter car. remember, you will not have cruise control and a/c may not be that good or you may not have it at all. no power steering and no overdrive (5th) unless you get a 77 or the car has been modified with a 5 spd, auto, turbo swap, etc.... it's only my opinion based on a personal experience. if you really want a 1st generation Z for your dream drive, go for it!

and to tid bit on what Desert Rat said, the exhaust problem on the earlier Z is no joke. and it will drive you nuts! really. make sure you remove the tail lights assy and make sure everything behind there is sealed also, otherwise leaks will enter thru there.

bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page