ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

help wrong key stuck in ignition lock

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Unknown User 
#1 ·
and i cant get it out thanks for your help

#3 ·
Is the wrong key stuck on the ON position? Or were you able to turn back to the off position and can't get it out? If it's in the OFF position then you can get a pair of pliers (NOT vise grips) and get some graphite key lube. I saw it at some of the local auto shops. Put some in and try jimmying the key out. But DO NOT, DO NOT force it out.
If it is in the ON position, you can try it but not forcefully. I got lucky. It worked on my Dad's car that way. Hope you can get it out. MZ

#7 ·
Well at least I know I'm not the only one who's done this lol... I find that when you carry the ignition key and the fuel-cap key on the same key-ring you sometimes put the wrong one in the ignition. I did that once and drove it around all day without realizing it. When I tried to pull it out it wouldn't budge. But if you can get it into the "off" position it seems to come out easier with a fair bit of wiggling. I had to use a little forcefull tugging but apparently no harm done. best of luck to ya

#10 ·
Funny, I can remove the key from the ignition on both my '80ZX and '71Z with the car still running. I can't count the number of times I started the Z with the ZX key! Finally ended up getting a rubber "key identiifer" for each key based on the color of the car. Now I won't #$)* up until I'm colorblind. :)

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.